cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The community will undergo maintenance on October 16th at 10:00 PM PDT and will be unavailable for up to one hour.

Shell Idealization Over the Solid Model in Geometric Element Analysis

YT_4948
12-Amethyst

Shell Idealization Over the Solid Model in Geometric Element Analysis

Hello @PARTHIBAN_K,
A very nice in-depth explanation indeed. I am facing some issues with creating 2D shell pairs for my assembly due to surfaces and / or some components within the assembly overlapping each other. Because of thus, I can not use "review geometry" feature too as it gives errors. Could you please help me out and guide me with solving these errors? Do I need the model to be remade where the components of its surfaces do not overlap each other? Or can I use some other way to mesh like "thin solid"? Please guide. Thanks in advance 🙂

Reference topic: https://community.ptc.com/t5/Analysis/Shell-Idealization-Over-the-Solid-Model-in-Geometric-Element/m-p/446841#M1377

2 REPLIES 2
YT_4948
12-Amethyst
(To:YT_4948)

Hello,
In relation to the above query, here is a detailed explanation of what I am trying to do with this FEA study. Basically, I am trying to analyze a scenario where a genset is placed onto a trailer and when in transit, how the Genset will move when sudden braking of trailer happens. For a better understanding, please see below a pic showing the model where genset has been placed onto the trailer:

YT_4948_0-1728990326927.png
When preparing the model for FEA, the "review geometry" function for trailer is working fine where it shows the bonded surfaces (default connection kept as bonded). However, for the genset model, I am having following errors when trying to use "review geometry": 

Detected bonded interfaces between several mated solid surfaces.
Check your model for volume interference and/or add a contact interface.

Source: Geometry

YT_4948_1-1728990555684.png

I have rechecked for any components or surfaces overlapping for the genset assembly but could not find no more and I am still having the same issue. I am not sure what it actually means or how to resolve it. Please help me understand and solve this problem. How and when to use contact interfaces?
Please see attached here with the zip file for the model incase you want to give it a try. Any input will be highly appreciated.

Thanks 🙂

YT_4948
12-Amethyst
(To:YT_4948)

Hello,
I have now managed to solve some of the previous errors mentioned above, but still struggling with the mesh as it can not be created it says. Please see below some snips of the related meshing problem:

YT_4948_0-1729006352034.png

YT_4948_1-1729006389887.png
At present, the geometry tolerance settings are 0.01 mm (Absolute) for all and I am trying to mesh this 3D assembly altogether as shell pairs did not work with this assembly and did not want to waste time on the shells.

Please see attached the latest zip file for the assembly just in case anyone needs to get their hands over it. Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks 🙂

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags