cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Shrinkwrap Missing Faces

WMac_Jarvis
2-Guest

Shrinkwrap Missing Faces

I'm running into an issue with Shrinkwrap where no matter what settings are used it always deletes the faces in screw heads where the tool would fit in. Is there something I'm missing that would make Shrinkwrap catch those faces without having to go through and select each individual one on all of them? The purpose is to send out gutted assemblies for the purpose of a 3rd party to make photo realistic images for marketing so having missing faces/parts is not ideal. See below for example of what's happening.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:WMac_Jarvis)

Understood. In a similar  situation, I have taken the merged solid and "extruded" features thru the internals I needed gone. At this point, precision isn't the goal, my extrudes are just big random shape or revolves that fill the area, plenty of overlap. I look at it from the perspective of what is proprietary and needs to be excluded and what is just "stuff". It is very dependent on your needed output.

Depending on how complex your geometry is, maybe that is a way to get where you need to be.

I'm just spitting out suggestions that I have done in the past, by no means is this a one size fits all solution!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
StephenW
23-Emerald II

You should send an image of what settings you have tried or other methods you have attempted.

There is rarely one, easy solution to these problems. I have sometimes exported a model out using a step export or parasolid export and re-importing as a single solid part.  This may or may not help you, depending on your output needs. And it doesn't always work.

Sure, so I've tried all 3 creation methods, and lower quality levels definitely has not helped. One thing I've had to do for what is wanted as an end result is putting in dummy parts as fillers due to vent ports that effectively let the inside faces/features be seen as "outside" faces by shrinkwrap which has worked so far but no such luck on a broader fix for it taking away faces I don't want removed. We've been shrinkwrapping then exporting that as step file from that.
 Settings.PNG

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Have you tried Merged solid? Quality level 10 is the best, Your settings seem correct. I typically don't need the small surface you are concerned with so I don't have any good suggestions.

Yes, merged solid unfortunately does not gut the assembly like I need it to, The only reason I need the smaller surfaces is because it going out for marketing purposes and they're wanting photo realistic images at the end, having missing faces doesn't exactly help with that

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Understood. In a similar  situation, I have taken the merged solid and "extruded" features thru the internals I needed gone. At this point, precision isn't the goal, my extrudes are just big random shape or revolves that fill the area, plenty of overlap. I look at it from the perspective of what is proprietary and needs to be excluded and what is just "stuff". It is very dependent on your needed output.

Depending on how complex your geometry is, maybe that is a way to get where you need to be.

I'm just spitting out suggestions that I have done in the past, by no means is this a one size fits all solution!

I guess that makes more sense then, I've been using the dummy parts at the assembly level, and the merged solid option does keep those screw head faces. So it seems gutting it after the fact might be more the move then for what I'm going for. Thank you

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I'm awesome at figuring out BRUTE FORCE methods!  LOL. I leave the finesse and elegance to people who are smart!

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags