cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Simple table with a parameter, can not be shared with other drawings

PetePickettII
12-Amethyst

Simple table with a parameter, can not be shared with other drawings

So I'm having a major brain fart but searching the PTC site for 20 min is getting me nowhere.

Using Creo 5.

I have a simple table, no repeat region.  I want one cell to reflect &customer_name  (or any other basic parameter)

This works but  in this drawing only.   As soon as i save the table and open it in another drawing it wont work.

the table shows CUSTOMER_NAME:1 when it is brought into another drawing

Am i missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:PetePickettII)

Copy the table to an empty drawing that doesn't have a parent model.  Then change any of the session id values to ":MDL" and re-save the table.  The other option is to copy it to an empty format.  Table parameters are not evaluated in a format, so you probably could even skip the "MDL" syntax altogether.  Just remember to save your table back out when finished editing it.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Adding the table to the additional drawings by the Table from file button?

Customer_name is in your additional file? Typically the cell going to the text of the parameter is caused by the system not finding the parameter name.

It works fine in Creo 7.0.7.0.

Are you copying the table from one drawing to another via Copy/Paste? If so, it might be similar to what happens when I copy/paste a note that uses parameters into another drawing. I think it's something to do with the fact that the parameter will have the Session ID appended onto it from the original part in its drawing (i.e. "CUSTOMER_NAME:1") like you show. When it's pasted into the new drawing, it doesn't "see" the same part in that drawing, so it usually shows as "***" rather than the parameter value for the new part.

When I copy a note from one drawing to another I always have to retype in the &parameterName callout where the three asterisks are and Creo then puts the right text in there.

Also, don't append the ":1" or whatever when typing the parameter in the new drawing. Creo will figure it out and put the right number on the end based on which model is active at the time. This stuff is kind of confusing, I suppose.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

To make the table work in other drawings, you need to use a syntax that doesn't tie the parameter to a specific session id.  This can be done by using the &parameter:mdl syntax.  When this table is added to another drawing, the :mdl portion will automatically convert to the session id of the new drawing's parent model (assuming that parameter actually exists in the parent model.)

PetePickettII
12-Amethyst
(To:TomU)

Tom how do i get the table to save the :MDL at the end of that string?  Or are you just saying PTC needs to enhance this functionality to allow it?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Copy the table to an empty drawing that doesn't have a parent model.  Then change any of the session id values to ":MDL" and re-save the table.  The other option is to copy it to an empty format.  Table parameters are not evaluated in a format, so you probably could even skip the "MDL" syntax altogether.  Just remember to save your table back out when finished editing it.

PetePickettII
12-Amethyst

30 years, I've been using this software.  You made my jaw hit the floor!  I am dumbstruck by your awesomeness!

Seems like such a simple concept that requires a nasty work around!

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

This is pretty cool. So when I'm doing a pile of drawings and they all need the MBD stuff that has become so fashionable of late, I could put all the gigantic note that gives all the details, including the drawing number parameter in an empty drawing, change the parameter callout, then copy and paste that into any of the dozens of new drawings I'm doing, without having to edit in the corrections every time. It's like getting a metal sliver out of your finger that's been annoying you for hours.

I totally agree! What a gem of a trick!
Top Tags