cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Standard Parts Library

ChrisVanHoeck
1-Newbie

Standard Parts Library

In need of some help.

My company uses Creo and Windchill. We do not have an established standard parts library and I wish to make one, however I am not sure of the best method. Currently our company practice is that when a user needs a nut/bolt/washer etc., they go to a manufacturer website (mcmaster, fastenal, etc.) and the user will then create the part or download from manufacturer site if available. This part then gets loaded into Windchill in no specific location, often creating duplicates, there are many duplicate items in Windchill with different part numbers.

The company needs are to have standard parts in specfic locations, ie folders in Windchill such as bolt, nut, washer and subsequently named according to the ASME B18.24 numbering standard, which we could then distribute for competitive pricing to any manfacturer. We would like the standard parts to be easily searchable. We have looked into a company called PartSolutions which we think might help us to build our standard parts library but it would not make the parts easily searchable.

What does your company do for Standard Part Libraries?

Has anyone from the community used PartSolutions software?

Can you give some recommendations on how to create my company library?

Does PTC offer any standard parts library product?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Your initial method for addressing this problem is the most common for what I am use to. Simply put, assign your company's part number to everything. If it is not the same, it is a different number. The second part of your solution, common description rules, is the searchability solution.

If the part in an assembly is not a valid part number*, the assembly is not valid and should be flagged in Windchill to be corrected.

I am not in favor of intelligent part numbers because there simply is no end to it. Yes, it helps searchability but where do you draw the line for distinction. And what happens when your company merges with its partner with a completely different system.

One you develop a standard you want to work with, stick to it. Hire a contractor to clean up your database. Bring them in-house and tell them what they need to do... and what they will be responsible for. Be prepared to initial oversight to make sure your data is not getting seriously corrupted at next level assemblies. Everyone who had created the mess can help clean it up. But the in the end, there is a single focus where the work is getting completed.

And you might consider some standards in how models are created. Level of detail can be a real stickler for some and an annoyance to others. Do screws really need threads? Do you want family tables or simplified reps to manage these as optional? All OEM hardware and components have huge variance in CAD use. Personally, I like detail in my PCB connectors while other find 2 block to be sufficient. Make some rules and enforce them.

And then decide on how compliance is managed. How do you safeguard the "approved" files so they don't change out of the blue and blow up assemblies during an engineering change process.

In my many years, I've always found myself in the middle of these conversations. No outside company will give you exactly what -you- need. They tend to offer what they -have- no matter how good their pitch.

I don't know where you are located, but if your enterprise would like some insight as to the best way to proceed beyond what I posted here, please feel free to contact me through the private message. This really isn't too difficult. It just takes time and effort to get on the right path for your business profile.

* some file naming variability is likely required but it should follow an established convension.

Top Tags