cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Summation of weight parameter in repeat region not taking into account qty of bom item

KDobie13
2-Guest

Summation of weight parameter in repeat region not taking into account qty of bom item

I am using Creo Parametric Release 8.0 and Datecode8.0.11.0

I am trying to add a weight per piece column into our bill of material in the repeat region on our drawing format. I successfully added a column that pulls from our weight parameter in the part but when I add the summation to the repeat region for total weight it only adds the weight per piece once and is not taking into account the quantity of the part.

I also would like to know if it is possible to put this summation into a different table in the drawing that is not part of the repeat region. I tried adding the summation string to another table in the drawing but it does not work like intended. I can type the parameter into the drawing manually and it adds it but not permanently in the format.

Lastly would like to make it so that the balloons are always set to "QTY SPLIT" when making a new drawing instead of having to change it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

answer to Q1:

1.] add relation into repeat region ... full_weight = rpt_qty * asm_mbr_weight

2.] add new column into repeat region ... &rpt.rel.full_weight

3.] add summation to above mentioned column

answer to Q2:

AFAIK summation formula belongs to specific repeat region. You cannot place it into separate table.

answer to Q3:

https://www.creosite.com/cgi-bin/find_option.cgi?srch=default_bom_balloon_type&ver=creo1&mode=drwsetup

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hi,

answer to Q1:

1.] add relation into repeat region ... full_weight = rpt_qty * asm_mbr_weight

2.] add new column into repeat region ... &rpt.rel.full_weight

3.] add summation to above mentioned column

answer to Q2:

AFAIK summation formula belongs to specific repeat region. You cannot place it into separate table.

answer to Q3:

https://www.creosite.com/cgi-bin/find_option.cgi?srch=default_bom_balloon_type&ver=creo1&mode=drwsetup

Martin Hanák

Thank you Martin. If I want to keep the column in the repeat region as weight per piece is it still possible to add this relation and do a summation in another way? The company that owns ours does this and I can't seem to figure out how they do it. Unfortunately, the person I used to ask for these things is no longer with the company.

In regards to Q3 this is a config change then and not a drawing template change?

Hi @KD_12152530 

Will it be possible for you to share a sample data to check how was it done?

For summation of weight of all instances, a column is required which can further be used to calculate total weigh.

Thanks.  

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:KDobie13)

If you attached a picture of what you wanted (or what your company already has) and a the use switch symbols in the table and add another picture (you may have to widen the columns to make it readable) and then a picture of repeat region relations.

For example (my example doesn't have relations/parameters):

StephenW_1-1729173922165.png

Stephen,

When I switch symbols all it says is "&TOTAL_WEIGHT:D[.1]"

This parameter is only in the drawing parameters and not the part parameters.

Is there a way to see the way this summation was created? I put my test assembly on both drawing templates and the BOM operates correctly and shows the weight/piece which is derived from our part parameter "WEIGHT_KG" but my summation does not take into account quantity.

This is the only table on the format I blanked some thing because I am not sure what I am allowed to share.

KDStrippit_0-1729176493175.png

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Ok, There are several things happening here, lets work thru understanding them separately.

The repeat region is the area that has the magenta box outline and is NOT related to the other portions of your title block, such as the total weight field.

Your total weight field is interesting. The : D(colon D) at the end of the parameter name means it comes from the drawing (not the model as I would have guessed). So, within the drawing, there is something going on that takes the model weight and converts it to drawing parameter. I am guessing, since its not something I have done, that your company uses a Drawing Program to do this. You can view the drawing programs, in the drawing, under Tools, Drawing Program, Edit Program. This is really a guess, but that looks like the next piece of information we need to figure out your title block.

What is your "end goal"? I re-read your initial post and I don't understand what and where you are really trying to do.

I checked and there are no drawing programs.

The total weight parameter is created in the repeat region menu using the summation option. This is what I understood at least. Once you pick something to be summed you need to name the parameter and then pick a cell for it to go into inside the same table that the repeat region is a part of.

The goal is to have the BOM column show weight/piece and then have a total weight that is shown in the title block like the picture above. The problem I am having is that when I create the summation it adds the weight/piece column but only in quanitity 1 and not how many are actually in the assembly. So it will add component one as 5 kg even if there are 5 pieces where it should say 25kg total.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Hmmm, I didn't realize summation worked that way, that's a new one for me. To be honest, I haven't used summation in a long time. So I don't know the answer to your problem with summation.

So, my next question is why are your using summation at all instead of just using the mass from the assembly. Maybe I'm missing some other purpose?

We use &pro_mp_mass in the title block to get the mass from the model. This is a mass parameter from the model and has nothing to do with repeat regions.

Does that solve your problem?

To test, just make sure the active model is your assembly, then make a note in the drawing with &pro_mp_mass

StephenW_0-1729184755311.png

Stephen,

I just figured it out. I found a relation in the repeat region menu.

KDobie13_0-1729185194370.png

Also as for not using the the assembly weight that is because a lot of our assemblies have what we call a "suppressed assembly" inside of them that we put objects into that we don't want to show in the BOM but we want to be able to see as a representation. Like a machine frame being used to show where covers get mounted to. We only want the covers in the BOM and the weight of the covers excluding the frame so this is why we want a summation of just the drawing weights.

As for why we use a "weight_kg" parameter I am not totally sure maybe to help with the described above task. I know this parameter is used directly to import the weight into our ERP system, It has been this way since I started here and unfortunately the gentlemen responsible for all this passed away so I do not have him to ask for help anymore.

The weight_kg is calculate with "WEIGHT_KG=ceil((1000*PRO_MP_MASS),1)" in our default part template.

edit. I also think this relation is what Martin the first responder suggested but I want to still keep the weight/piece in the column. I can recreate the relation and keep it in the background then do a summation of the parameter to get total weight in the title block.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags