cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Swept Blend in Sheetmetal - Can Create Cut but Not Protrusion

NEALROSENBLUM
1-Newbie

Swept Blend in Sheetmetal - Can Create Cut but Not Protrusion

Hey Everybody,

I am currently working with a part that I created from scratch. I had to make some sheetmetal bends in the part, so I am working in Sheetmetal.

I need to create a funky "twisty" shape that has to be a protrusion that gets attached to this sheetmetal part (all continuous, tangential, etc.). But when I create a swept blend, solidify, or thicken, Wildfire 5.0 only allows me to CUT. I want to create a PROTRUSION, NOT CUT.

Any ideas. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Neal Rosenblum
Geometrix Engineering, Inc.
201 N. 13th Avenue
Hollywood, FL 33019
Ph: 954-920-2049
Fax: 954-920-9574
Cell: 954-649-9399
neal@

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

If you have a model that has a sheet metal conversion some where midway in
the model tree, roll up above when the part is converted to sheet metal and
used stand features....then convert to metal...

Neal,

I am not a sheet metal expert, but I think you want to figure out this
feature to do your twisty thing.

I am a real sheet metal hacker and learn something every time I use it.
Sadly, this is not very frequently, so I am not very familiar with the blend
tool.

Maybe that helps a little? I am sure I will benefit from your summary!

-Nate

This?

Regards,
Dan McCaherty

This is more of a best practice than helpful in your situation, however I have found the easiest way to save head aches when converting models to sheet metal, is do it as early in the model tree as possible. I have found that the further into the tree the conversion happens, the more function I can lose later on. On the other hand, the more you can do in sheet metal using that module the more robust the part is.

If you wanted to make the part you are after using cardboard - curling, bending, cutting, but not stretching - then sheetmetal is pretty straightforward. If it requres stretching the material then you'll need to explore form tools.

Top Tags