cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

To Break a single instance drawing from a family table and to make it stand-alone drawing.

psimha
1-Newbie

To Break a single instance drawing from a family table and to make it stand-alone drawing.

Hi,

Please consider the scenario stated below:

a. We have a family table of a BOLT part.

b. The generic bolt has 5 instances under it.

c. The drawing is first generated for the GENERIC.

d. Then using the replace option in the DRAWING MODE, all of the 5 instances are looped into this drawing, so that, depending upon the instance selected during the replace option, the views in the drawing change to that particular instance selected.

e. Now, the requirement is, I need a method to follow which will help me to make this drawing of the instance selected as a standalone drawing. That is, the family table relation is broken with respect to this instance and the drawing, so that, I can go ahead and SAVE AS this drawing to a new number.

Request one and all to revert with solutions in this regard. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Simha

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
Kevin
10-Marble
(To:psimha)

‌Based on my experience the only way I've been able to accomplish that is to create a copy of the drawing, set it to the generic, change the generic so that it matches the instance you are trying to copy, and then delete the family table.

dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:psimha)

Duplicate the drawing via save-as, but don't change the model name

Open the duplicate drawing and set the duplicate drawing to use the instance you want with Replace in the drawing

Open the Generic model and remove the family table member with the duplicate drawing in memory.

Save the duplicate drawing and the generic model

This process allows the duplicate drawing links to the generic to be removed (because the instance was removed while the drawing is in memory.)

This makes the instance a stand-alone part because it was in memory when the entry in the family table was removed.

Top Tags