cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Top level Annotation States and Simp Reps

DevinHahne
12-Amethyst

Top level Annotation States and Simp Reps

Hello,

What is the expected behavior of using Annotation States together with Simp Reps for large top level assemblies?  I was working on an antenna field of view (FOV) analysis where I was trying to determine at what different angles the antenna FOVs would be obstructed by other stuff.  So my plan was to create a Simp Rep with nearly everything excluded, set the FOVs to Master, and the nearby components to Automatic (BTW:  Creo 4.0 M060).  I also created an Annotation State, based on this Simp Rep, with some 3D annotations.  The 3D annotations were simple text leader notes identifying which antenna is which, and I also took the part-level angle dimension and displayed it at the top level assembly Annotation State.  I expected the Simp Rep would prevent Creo from loading any data from the unwanted components.  Instead, the presence of the 3D annotations seemed to override the data limiting features of the Simp Rep.  While the excluded components continued to not be displayed, the Status Bar Message Area indicated Creo was performing some kind of operations on all the component throughout the assembly.  Also, pan and rotate commands, as well as save operations, took a lot longer than normal (minute(s) to perform pan/rotate, and tens of minutes to perform save).  But that's what the Simp Rep was supposed to prevent, right?  I tried several iterations and sequences of erasing not displayed, exit and reload Creo and the assembly Simp Rep.  Several times Creo just stalled out and became unresponsive and I had to end the task with the Windows Task Manager.  After a few more tries, I eventually noticed the pan/rotate performance seemed to slow down as soon as I tried to turn on the 3D annotations with the Annotation State.  So I dispensed with the 3D annotations and just simply loaded the Simp Rep.  Pan/Rotate and save operations all behaved normally with the Simp Rep and without the 3D annotations.  I was able to load the FOV model separately, change the angle, switch back to the top level, let it spend a few seconds to update, and then check for interference.

So, I'm very curious.  Are there any known issues with assembly level Annotation States, 3D annotations, and Simp Reps that would explain this behavior?  Are there any PTC documents that would explain best practices for top level Annotation States, that would enable me to avoid the lag I experienced?

Bonus:  Are there any CAE / design analysis tools that would allow me to specify the FOV angle dimension, incrementally increase it until interference is detected, and then report the angle value?

Thanks in advance!

-Devin

3 REPLIES 3
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:DevinHahne)

I don't know the answer to the annotation question, but attached is the answer to the bonus question.

Glad to see that it's not just me.  3D annotations always seemed to bring my system to a crawl.

I used to dread activating that Annotate tab because of an imminent crash; that seems to have stopped, but the sluggish experience remains...

gjavorski
4-Participant
(To:DevinHahne)

Hello! 
Did you sort out a way to solve your Bonus Question? I know that it was implemented a Visual Field Analysis in the version 9.0:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdgbcdJ2vIQ

I would like to know if there is another way since the company I work for didn´t implement version 9.0 yet.

Regards,

This Creo Parametric 9.0 tutorial shows the new Visual Field Analysis tool to create a quilt from the field of vision from an eye point in an assembly. For more information, visit https://www.creowindchill.com. If you learned something from this video, please give it a thumbs up. If you like this
Top Tags