cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Understanding weight/mass values in Creo 4.0

Chas
3-Visitor

Understanding weight/mass values in Creo 4.0

I am new to Creo (CAD in general) and trying to understand how to interpret the value calculations in my assembly after I populated the part models with the same "steel.mtl" value.

I loaded the individual parts as follows:

When in the Model files, I selected:

FILE / PREPARE / MODEL PROPERTIES / MATERIAL … CHANGE / and selected “steel.mtl” from the Material Directory list.

When I go to the assemblies "Mass Properties" window I see a MASS value of 1.3697370e+06 KILOGRAM but do not know how to convert this to either general kilos or pounds. Can anyone direct me to translating this?

Thank you in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Chas)

Kilos is an abbreviation for kilograms so you are already there, but since the value is so high, I suspect you have a units problem. 

You will need to check your assembly UNITS and ALL your parts UNITS. You do that in the same place under FILE - PREPARE - MODEL PROPERTIES then UNITS/change.

Chas
3-Visitor
(To:StephenW)

Thank you. Upon opening the Units window as directed, I selected "Mass" in the pull-down the Type,  "kg" for my Units and clicked "New".  It then opened window "Unit Definition". Is this where I now enter the Density for the steel.mtl value? (7.8057331e-06) where the window "Scale" is noted? 

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Chas)

No, sorry...you want to use a "system of units", don't go to the units tab in the units manager. Pick the system of units that match your desired units. If you want metric units, you'll likely want to mmKs (millimeter/kilogram/second) so all the dimensions you enter in your parts will be in millimeters and mass will be measured in kilograms.

Once you select the system of units you desire, then use the SET command to change the model (if you are working in the assembly, you may be able to use the "include submodels" box to change all the parts to your desired units.

units.jpg

Top Tags