cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Unregenerated Features

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Unregenerated Features

Creo 2, M120

I've run into a string of situations in Creo 2 where the geometry is my models are wrong because Creo simply did not fully regenerate the features.  The features are defined properly, the references are all there, the "traffic light" at the lower right is green, but the geometry is incorrect.

I finally found one that I could reproduce and files it with PTC.  A plane was defined as through a datum point normal to a curve, the datum point moved but the plane did not.  After a month of working through an NDA , dealing with an unresponsive tech support engineer and finally escalating it, I have an SPR filed (but no number yet).  However, I keep running into these problems.  Another was a cross section that was incorrectly placed; now a pattern where the leader moved but the members didn't follow.

I end up seeing abnormalities in my assembly or, sometimes, other things fail that really shouldn't and find a feature that simply isn't right. Simply entering into "edit definition" and hitting the green check mark without actually changing anything makes the feature regen properly.  If I hit the red X it does not.  If I force a regen with the model player, that will fix it as well.

I'm curious if I'm alone here or of others have noticed inaccurate models in Creo 2.

--
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
7 REPLIES 7

Exactly as you describe, yes, except for the part of dealing with tech
support; I have no time for that. I'm sure you don't either. If PTC
employed people to actually use the product while in development it would be
hard to imagine missing things like this before release.

John

I too have experienced this many times.

"I end up seeing abnormalities in my assembly or, sometimes, other things fail that really shouldn't and find a feature that simply isn't right. Simply entering into "edit definition" and hitting the green check mark without actually changing anything makes the feature regen properly."

Bill Chapman
Email: -<">mailto:->
Tel: 708-496-3100 | Cell: 708-205-5705

[cid:image001.jpg@01CFFF22.A9FEC210]

This is why I set enable_auto_regen = no and regen_failure_handling = resolve_mode

Brian L Taylor
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Hardware Engineering Center
Space and Airborne Systems
Raytheon Company
972-344-7697 (office)
-

13510 North Central Expressway
Dallas Tx 75243 USA
www.raytheon.com

-----"John Moody (MECHaSYS)" <-> wrote: -----

I have enable_auto_regen set to no, but do not have regen_failure_hanling set to resolve_mode.  I would not expect the latter to make a difference because my understanding is it has nothing to do with if features fail but what Creo does when they fail.  The problem is not that they are not failing when they should, just that they are not regenerating properly.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

We found an issue with a dimension getting rounded off in a pattern table and showing incorrectly on a drawing. PTC was actually very responsive and we tracked down the issue actually back to WF3. They did implement a fix, and have added a check in to modelcheck to look for a difference between the how the dimension is saved in the part vs. the actual geometry. Of course I can't find case on the wonderful support page.

One thing I realized during our problem was how much I disliked the direction PTC had taken in allowing model dimensions to be rounded and more fault tolerance in models. Yes, I'm an old timer (learned R 9 in 1992) and frankly I preferred when you KNEW how pro/e would react. If there were 10 places to a dimension, you saw 10 places. If you changed it to 3 places, it changed the model to reflect that. I know people complained about when they wanted .13 on a drawing but the model was .125 and you changed to 2 decimal places it would actually change the model, but at least it was consistent with the stated functionality. Also, I find now that models often do not get fixed when there are errors. Again, I know they got beat up by their competitors about how often a model would have to be fixed, but if the users REALLY understood how pro/e tracked EVERYTHING they could avoid many of the failures and fix them easily when they did occur.

Rob Reifsnyder
Mechanical Design Engineer/ Producibility Engineer / Components Engineer / Pro/E SME / Pro/E Librarian
[LM_Logo_Tag_RGB_NoR_r06]

I have seen similar cases. I have seen failure for features that were resolved by just edit definition and selecting OK, but the one that really gets me is on radii. I have created radii in the past where the feature is successful, but the radii doesn't show in the part and get no failures.

Mark A. Peterson
Design Engineer
Varel International
-

CREO2 M120
Currently I am also getting regen status 'yellow lights', but when opening the regen status dialog, there is no notice of any issues. Upon closing the dialog the light turns green. Also, I get messages that 'the mass properties are not updated / calculated' or similar. I have every d*mn config option I can find turned on to auto regen my models, especially those that have inherited features or copy-geom features to no avail.

I suspect that my goal seeking features such as a weight target won't regen because I don't have the license of behavioral modeling active at the time. The system gives me no notice that that is the case though. There are no indications on the model tree, etc...

I also have had features show up as failed, just to open the sketch, exit the sketch, and everything is then fine.

I noticed this behavior starting with my testing of CREO1 over a year ago. I didn't notice this behavior in WF4 or C-E-P 5.

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company
124 Hidden Valley Road
McMurray, PA 15317
Top Tags