cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

'Wrap' feature

JonathanHodgson
11-Garnet

'Wrap' feature

I'm trying to wrap a datum curve (sketch) around a cylinder, ultimately to produce a cylindrical cam.

My attempts have been troublesome so far - various features simply fall over if I get anywhere close to the real dimensions that I know we already manufacture on similar parts.

After some experiments, I've found a strange behaviour with the Wrap feature that I'm using to map my (linear) cutter path onto the cylinder:

• I've sketched the path so that it's symmetrical above and below the centreline. I have to do this because if I sketch it all on one side, it fails - it appears that Wrap only works over 180°.
  • For the moment, and for this particular path, the lower half contains the profile and the upper half is just straight.
  • For testing, I'm wrapping a fixed length around a larger cylinder. This has revealed that my symmetrical sketch is being wrapped asymmetrically - it seems that the wrap is based on line length and not on tangential / circumferential distance!

Can anyone confirm this, or suggest a workaround? We've previously modelled these using a Toroidal Bend, but I don't think the geometry is accurate and so I'm spending a few hours seeing whether there's a better way.

Thanks!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags