cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

assign parameters from 3D to 2D

Miaousse
4-Participant

assign parameters from 3D to 2D

Hello

In drawing mode

is modelcheck able to assign  parameters values from current 3d model to the drawing parameters?

If yes how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Miaousse)

I also don't understand why you need any parameters in the drawing itself.  The drawing can easily and automatically display all the parameter values from the model.  If you're not using a PDM system, then there really isn't any reason for the drawing itself to have it's own separate parameters.

If you really want them to exist in the drawing and match the model, then just create a drawing template that already has the drawing parameters defined and contains a drawing program to keep the drawing parameters synchronized with the model parameters.  It's even possible to build a mapkey that will automatically create any parameters that are missing in the drawing and then automatically create the corresponding drawing program to keep them synchronized.  (I have one we use to use that does this exact thing.)

What good does it do to populate the drawing (file) with parameters if the tables on the drawing are all displaying parameter values from the model?  Why do you need separate parameters in the drawing?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nothing that I'm aware of exists. Just in case you are looking for ANY method to get the model to populate drawing parameters the method we use is through the drawing program.

: D stands for the drawing, no colon number is needed on the right side, it will automatically add the session ID of the model that is active when the program is added. One issue with this method is parameters won't be designated automatically for you. You may need a mapkey to do this if you are uploading this data to Windchill.

designer:D = designer

drafter:D = drafter

Unfortunately, I don't believe model check can validate a drawing program either.

You could still setup modelcheck in the drawing to expect all your parameters and can set it up to expect the value to not be blank

PDM line if you need things designated/upload to Windchill.

ASM_PARAMETER DESIGNER NONE EQ PDM
ASM_PARAMETER DESIGNER NONE GTE LENGTH_1

Miaousse
4-Participant
(To:HW_9564609)

Hello,

my current solution to my problem is a mapkey that export current drawing model parameter, process this export to generate a trail file. this trail file will create a drawing program then it reads that and finally get read off the program....

this is quite annyoing process to code and very stable.

i am going to look into pro/weblink to do it directly. 

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

How are you using the parameters in your drawing?

You can pull parameters directly from the model into the drawing.

Can you give a better explanation of what you are trying to do?

Miaousse
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

Hello 

The problem i am having is that we don't have any parameters in the drawing.
users don't want or bother use modelcheck and we don't own any PDM /PLM right now. It's in the process to have one PDM.

i want drawing to be populated with parameters.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Do you use parameters in your drawing titleblocks? If you do this will force your users to use them in the drawings. Some parameters can be created with a Restricted Parameter file, so the values are in a drop down instead of having the user enter the parameter value. We use this for drawing signatures.

You can force a ModelCheck run when the users save a file.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I also don't understand why you need any parameters in the drawing itself.  The drawing can easily and automatically display all the parameter values from the model.  If you're not using a PDM system, then there really isn't any reason for the drawing itself to have it's own separate parameters.

If you really want them to exist in the drawing and match the model, then just create a drawing template that already has the drawing parameters defined and contains a drawing program to keep the drawing parameters synchronized with the model parameters.  It's even possible to build a mapkey that will automatically create any parameters that are missing in the drawing and then automatically create the corresponding drawing program to keep them synchronized.  (I have one we use to use that does this exact thing.)

What good does it do to populate the drawing (file) with parameters if the tables on the drawing are all displaying parameter values from the model?  Why do you need separate parameters in the drawing?

Top Tags