cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

auto update revision block table

dmaynard
4-Participant

auto update revision block table

I have been creating drawings with multiple sheets and would like a faster way to update my revision block. Is there a way to update sheet 1 revision block and have it auto-populate to sheets 2 thru last sheet? I saw a "copy_cell" configuration for Creo 2.0 M130 and earlier versions but I have Creo 2.0 M160. Any ideas on if this is even achievable and if so, how?

Similar to this link:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Modeling-Questions/Dynamic-Auto-Revision-Table/m-p/83745#M21216

Still not solved.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I've investigated this in the past and found that the effort to automate it and ensure that it always worked as expected wasn't worth it.  My solution was to put revision info on only the first sheet and place a note in the "rev block" of later sheets indicating that all rev info is on sheet one.  Having it only in one place is simpler than trying to make sure that every place is identical.

Another method is to update the rev table on sheet 1, select the table, cntrl C to copy it to the clipboard, going to sheet 2 and deleting the rev block there and then paste the sheet 1 table using coordinates to ensure it's in the proper position.  If you do that every time it's changed it'll always be identical.  You probably could automate much of it with a mapkey.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:dmaynard)

Are you using Windchill or not?

If you are not using Windchill, you could add a parameter to parts/assemblies (i.e. rev_lev) and assign it to the part/assembly. In your title block you call the parameter and it will update/propagate throughout the sheets when you update that parameter on the model. At least that is how we do it. There may be better ways out there.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Dale_Rosema)

I was talking about revision level. As for following pages, I just have a title block. Revisions are on Page 1.

dmaynard
4-Participant
(To:Dale_Rosema)

not using windchill

TomU
23-Emerald IV

The only good way to get table information to automatically update is to tie it to parameters - either model parameters or drawing parameters.  Then anytime you update one of these linked cells it will automatically update everywhere else that parameter value is displayed.

If you want to stay with "dumb text" in the table cells then I would suggest using something like SmartAssembly.  You could pretty easily write a little program to copy the table contents from one sheet to another.  (I'm sure you could do this with the VB API or J-Link as well but programing is not nearly as simple.)

I've investigated this in the past and found that the effort to automate it and ensure that it always worked as expected wasn't worth it.  My solution was to put revision info on only the first sheet and place a note in the "rev block" of later sheets indicating that all rev info is on sheet one.  Having it only in one place is simpler than trying to make sure that every place is identical.

Another method is to update the rev table on sheet 1, select the table, cntrl C to copy it to the clipboard, going to sheet 2 and deleting the rev block there and then paste the sheet 1 table using coordinates to ensure it's in the proper position.  If you do that every time it's changed it'll always be identical.  You probably could automate much of it with a mapkey.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
dmaynard
4-Participant
(To:dgschaefer)

That is usually what I do but was hoping for something faster.

Thank you

StephenW
23-Emerald II

The easiest way I've used is to have a parameter in the drawings (maybe drw_rev) and set that parameter as the revision. Then have your format call out &drw_rev:d on each sheet. 

Top Tags