cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

creo_parametric_customization.ui location

wattyinabq
1-Newbie

creo_parametric_customization.ui location

Pros/Creos,

Just switched to Creo 2.0 from WF-4. I want changes I make to the interface saved to a creo_parametric_customization.ui in a directory that I set not the working directory. There must be a config option to set the location I want. What config setting do I need to use?

Thanks!

Bill Watkins
Sandia National Laboratories
Mechanical Design Dept. 2998
PO Box 5800 MS 1172
Albuquerque, NM 87185
505-845-9666

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

Look at this presentation:

Creo Admin 101
mlocascio
4-Participant
(To:wattyinabq)

Isn't that normally a part of the config.win or the config.sup file?

Mike L.

The creo_parametric_customization.ui file replaces the config.win. There are no config.pro / config.sup options that can set the folder it is stored in. Look at David's admin presentations for info on either setting it to save to the working directory or setting the cache location to a custom folder.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

The config option load_ui_customization_run_dir is a yes/no option with the default set as no.

Yes, allows you to add the creo_parametric_customization.ui file to the "start in" folder the same as you did with the config.win in the WildFire family.

It does not allow you to define exactly where you want the creo_parametric_customization.ui file; it simply tells Creo to put it in your working directory. As you change the working directory, it changes where it is saved.

It’s handy for loading the creo_parametric_customization.ui file from a network location, but unless you never change the working directory it could be saved anywhere.

For example:

Start Creo in directory A, Creo reads the creo_parametric_customization.ui file it finds there.
Change your working dir to directory B and begin working. Realize it’d be handy to have command ___ in the quick access toolbar, so you go in and add it. Creo automatically saves your creo_parametric_customization.ui file to directory B, your working directory, without asking you.
Next time you fire up Creo, the creo_parametric_customization.ui file in directory A, your start in folder, that change isn’t present.

The only way that setting that option to “yes” makes sense is if you never change your working directory and you want your creo_parametric_customization.ui file mixed in with all your part, assy & drawing files.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
mlocascio
4-Participant
(To:wattyinabq)

How many copies of this file could one keep on a computer? It seems like it would endless.

>

When I modify the ribbon, I’m doing it for all the users. So I take care that I only have one copy of the file that gets loaded when I startup

I actually have a startup script specifically for modifying the ribbon.

As for the issue of changing directories. We work with PDMLink most of the time, so you almost never change your working directory.

The following is from my Creo Admin 102 talk on page 25: What I said for each section of the slide is in green.

Startup Scripts – Customizing The Ribbon

Modify a Default Company Ribbon File
Should only load system .ui from start-in directory
Remove any personal .ui files

If you have multiple ribbon files that get loaded on startup, you’re going to have a difficult
time modifying your company standard ribbon file.

Several possible locations for the .ui file.
1. Load point
2. Local Cache Directory
3. Creo Start-in Directory

There are three locations where this .ui file can be stored.
• The load point,
• The local cache directory, which happens to be the default location,
• And the Creo Start‐in directory. This requires a config setting.
I solve the problem by making sure I only load one file and the location of that file is my
startup directory.

1. del "C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M050\text\config.Creo_parametric_admin_customization.ui“
2. del "%USERPROFILE%\Creo_2_home\cache\no_pdm_cache\PTC\ProENGINEER\.Settings\creo_parametric_customization.ui“
3. Move "%USERPROFILE%\Creo_2_home\creo_parametric_customization.ui”
“%USERPROFILE%\pro\Creo_2_home\configs\creo_parametric_customization.ui”
4. echo f|xcopy " P:\loadpoint_configs \creo_parametric_admin_customization.ui"
"%USERPROFILE%\Creo_2_home\creo_parametric_customization.ui" /y /r
5. set PTC_WF_ROOT=%USERPROFILE%\creo_2_home\cache\no_pdm_cache\PTC\ProENGINEER

1. Delete the .ui file from the load point

2. Delete it from the cache file

3. Move any .ui file I have in my start‐in directory

4. After all these other .ui files are out of the way, I copy the system .ui file down to my startin directory and also change the name to remove admin from it.

5. Finally I set the cache folder to the no_pdm_cache.

• Because you are only editing one file, every edit gets saved to this file
• Go to File, Help, System information to see which files were loaded
• Should only be one

If you do it this way, when you look at what config files are loaded, you should only see one
.ui file, and that should be from your start‐in directory.
At this point any additions or changes you make to the ribbon file all get made to this one
file. When you’re done, just replace your old system .ui with this new one. Of course don’t
forget to rename it.

David Haigh
Top Tags