cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

drawing number in repeat region

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

drawing number in repeat region

does anyone know how to get the drawing number (in this example) "1119" and "2222" to show up on this bom for each line? i cant seem to figure out how to get the drawing number to show up except in the case of pc 'd' on the bottom; where I added the parameter at the part level. in this example i would like to have only drawing level relations controling the "drawingno" parameter i have made.

creoooo.JPG

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Hi Joe...

I received your email but it came through really strangely. Whenever someone sends email through the Community system, I receive an email I can't reply to. You can always contact me at my work email address (listed in my profile), send me a PTC Community friend request, or reply with your email address to make things easier.

I'm not sure I totally understand what you're trying to do... but from what I gather, you want to append the assembly name to the part description. So for each part, you want some of the part parameters to show in the table but you'd also like to see what assembly that part "lives in". This is usually not possible. Each line of the repeat region is pulling information from one and only one object ("object" meaning part or assembly model). You can't pull information from two objects in the same line and you also cannot combine data from different objects.

For example, you could not grab the description of one object and combine it with the description of another. This goes for all parameters in a model. The only exception is when using a summation to add values between rows.

The old "Pro/REPORT" upon which the repeat regions are based was archaic and useless when it was introduced 20 years ago. In my personal opinion, it's inexcusably worthless today. Normally I wouldn't be so blunt but I'm too worn down to be too politically correct right now. Excel circa 1998 has more features than Pro/REPORT does because you do have the option of referencing other cells. In your repeat region, you're forced to have all the information you need exist within each object.

In other words, your best bet is to add the parameter you want to each part inside your assembly. Once this is done, it's easy to show the parameter as part of your description. Other ideas come to mind but none of them are very good:

• Create a macro that rolls through each part in an assembly adding a new parameter to hold your assembly name
  • Create a special table that cleverly displays the assembly name in such a way that visually the reader understands that each part belongs to it. (This is probably easier to understand if I made one as a demonstration but I can't because Creo is current taking 30 minutes to perform each and every command I give it - no kidding).
  • Create multiple tables stacked on top of each other. Each table shows the parts for a different assembly. Some manually applied parameter then adds the assembly name to each row and dislays it.

There's a chance I'm missing an obvious Pro/REPORT parameter that can do the job for you but I feel like I'd remember that option if it were available. Typically I'd test out any advice I give before I hit the 'send' button but that could take years at this point. Creo 2 and Windchill 10.1 are currently conspiring to get me fired by locking up and taking hours to perform even simple operations. It's impossible for me to do any testing before I send this so I'll just send it now and test out some other options as soon as it's practical.

Thanks... and my apologies that my frustration is showing through in this post!

-Brian

Good luck with your Creo2/WC10.1 issues Brian...

Whenever you have time to spare, please post any findings you may have related to your problems.

We are currently working on the same upgrade and i do not want to end up in the same situation.

Testing we have done so far on our test system does not indicate any similar performance issues as you describe.

Hi Hugo...

We got the bugs worked out. I was struggling with a training server we'd set up so we could train our users on Creo 2.0 and Windchill 10.1. The training server was minimally configured and it was causing all sorts of odd problems. We were able to iron those out and once we did, the applications talked to each other correctly. The stress of the migration is high but that's got more to do with my co-workers than the software itself.

Once the two applications are configured correctly, I know they work well. In another job for my employer, I already use Creo 2.0 and Windchill 10.1. We're trying to migrate another location to using the same tools and it's been a struggle. I'm confident it'll work out, though.
As it happens, I guess the shutdown was a good thing (at least for me). It's given me a much needed rest.
Thanks!
-Brian
Top Tags