cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

ecad_hint.map Question

ptc-680841
1-Newbie

ecad_hint.map Question

Guys,
I am wondering if there is a way to accomplish this in my hint map file. I want to use one proe model to represent many ecad parts on my board. Sounds simple, but I would prefer only one entry in the "ecad_hint.map" file.

For example, I am looking for something like this, but have no idea if it is possible and what the specific syntax would be. Thought I would ask before trying to test out different possible syntax combinations.

/* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:"; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Courier New"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;}#map_objects_by_name->ECAD_NAME "X01" "X02" "X03"
ECAD_ALT_NAME "ECAD_TYPE "MCAD_NAME "X-ALL"MCAD_TYPE "part"MCAD_LAYER "END#
Without a condensed entry format of some sort, I would have to have three individual entries like this:
#map_objects_by_name->ECAD_NAME "X01"
ECAD_ALT_NAME "ECAD_TYPE "MCAD_NAME "X-ALL"MCAD_TYPE "part"MCAD_LAYER "END#map_objects_by_name->ECAD_NAME "X02"
ECAD_ALT_NAME "ECAD_TYPE "MCAD_NAME "X-ALL"MCAD_TYPE "part"MCAD_LAYER "END#map_objects_by_name->ECAD_NAME "X03"
ECAD_ALT_NAME "ECAD_TYPE "MCAD_NAME "X-ALL"MCAD_TYPE "part"MCAD_LAYER "END#
Any guidance you can give is appreciated.
Andy B.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Andy,

The hint map file works with wildcards "*"

X0* can replace X01, X02, X03, etc

Keith

On Jun 11, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Andrew Burke <andrew@productview.com>
wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I am wondering if there is a way to accomplish this in my hint map
> file. I want to use one proe model to represent many ecad parts on
> my board. Sounds simple, but I would prefer only one entry in the
> "ecad_hint.map" file.
>
> For example, I am looking for something like this, but have no idea
> if it is possible and what the specific syntax would be. Thought I
> would ask before trying to test out different possible syntax
> combinations.
>
> #
> map_objects_by_name->
> ECAD_NAME "X01" "X02" "X03"
> ECAD_ALT_NAME "
> ECAD_TYPE "
> MCAD_NAME "X-ALL"
> MCAD_TYPE "part"
> MCAD_LAYER "
> END
> #
>
> Without a condensed entry format of some sort, I would have to have
> three individual entries like this:
>
> #
> map_objects_by_name->
> ECAD_NAME "X01"
> ECAD_ALT_NAME "
> ECAD_TYPE "
> MCAD_NAME "X-ALL"
> MCAD_TYPE "part"
> MCAD_LAYER "
> END
> #
> map_objects_by_name->
> ECAD_NAME "X02"
> ECAD_ALT_NAME "
> ECAD_TYPE "
> MCAD_NAME "X-ALL"
> MCAD_TYPE "part"
> MCAD_LAYER "
> END
> #
> map_objects_by_name->
> ECAD_NAME "X03"
> ECAD_ALT_NAME "
> ECAD_TYPE "
> MCAD_NAME "X-ALL"
> MCAD_TYPE "part"
> MCAD_LAYER "
> END
> #
>
> Any guidance you can give is appreciated.
>
> Andy B.
>
>
> Site Links: View post online View mailing list online Send new
> post via email Unsubscribe from this mailling list Manage your
> subscription
>
> Use of this email content is governed by the terms of service at:
>

Thanks Keith! This is working for us and solves the issue for this particular board.
Have a Rant-Free Friday everyone!

Some time back I conducted a few Pro/ECAD webinars to show users how to generate geometrically accurate 3D PCBs in Pro/Engineer. Would there be interest in an encore webinar or two?

Topics covered would be:

-The EMN and EMP IDF Files and how these files can bi-directionally transfer ECAD data to/from Pro/Engineer
-The ecad_hint.map file and how 2D "block" data can be replaced with real 3D PCB Components in Pro/E
-Synchronizing ECAD and Pro/Engineer component geometries
-Best practice design processes for developing 3D PCBs
-How Simplified Solutions Hint Map Tool and 3D Component Library can streamline the process of creating 3D PCBs
-Answer any Pro/ECAD related questions

If you or any of your collegues would be interested, send me a quick reply email . If there are sufficient responses I will set up times/dates to accomodate.

Regards,

Keith

Keith Richman
Simplified Solutions Inc.
410-420-7853 (United States)
-

ECAD'ers,
I see it is OOTB functionality to pass certain parameters from ECAD to MCAD using IDF files and the
"ecad_hint.map" file.
/* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:"; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Courier New"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;}#map_objects_by_name->ECAD_NAME "XE644"ECAD_ALT_NAME "XE644"ECAD_TYPE "MCAD_NAME "0102042A015"MCAD_TYPE "part"MCAD_LAYER "END#
I also noticed there are many other parameters that I can show in the Model Tree, such as:
ECAD_OWNERECAD_PLACEMENT_STATUSECAD_RESISTANCEECAD_CAPACITANCE
etc.
I counted 19 parameters. I am wondering if it is possible to create a custom parameter and have that passed back and forth? Something like ECAD_DESCRIPTION. What do you think? Am I "onto something" or am I "on something"?
Thanks in advanced for your input.
Andy B.

Top Tags