cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

family table weirdness

davehaigh
11-Garnet

family table weirdness

I have a draw slide that has an open and closed instance.
In the next assembly up, I'm trying to replace the generic with the open and closed in two instances in that assembly.

The first slide shows me the family table instances to pick. The second slide only shows me the generic. It's the same draw slide assy placed in the upper assy twice. Why would this work for one and not the other?

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Okay, so I have some really weird things happening with a couple of family tables in CREO 2 attached to Windchill 10.1. I have two family tables, each with two instances. In the generic there is a part "A" that we are replacing with part "B". There are no references to part "A". We swap out the parts, verify the table and check it in. If we open the generic, part "B" is in there. If we open an instance from the family table, part "B" is in there. If we erase everything out of session and open an instance directly, part "A" now shows up. What's up with that? Anyone else seen this? Anyone have a fix for this?

Thank you,

Brian Toussaint
CAD Administrator

Hoshizaki America, Inc.
"A Superior Degree Of Reliability"
618 Hwy. 74 S., Peachtree City, GA 30269
Phone: (770) 487-2331 ext. 1216
Fax: (770) 487-3359
www.hoshizaki.com
mlocascio
4-Participant
(To:davehaigh)

I cannot say that I have ever seen anything like that in Creo Parametric 2.
Maybe there is an issue with regenerating the family table. I am just
throwing that out - because I am not really sure what you have done, or not
done.

Michael P. Locascio

Are you using instance accelerator files? If so try updating them or clearing them out...

I avoid family tables if at all possible. The one good use i have seen for family tables are simple family/library parts like screws and fasteners at various sizes/lengths.

Perhaps considers using simplified reps to toggle "parts" and components on and off in an assembly. I personally find this way more robust for handling assembly configurations...

My $0.01

Avoid Simplified reps to control configuration because there is no PDM view of simplified reps.

Family tables do generate a useable PDM view. The main problem family tables pose is that they seem easy, but users can be careless in creating or managing them. It doesn't help that there is no good place to document what how a model is built, and particularly how a family table is intended to function.

Using Simplified Reps to avoid family tables can result in an unmanageable product structure.

Of late, many things that used to require an explicit family table to manage have been better handled using assembly flexibility** (such as drawer slides being opened or closed) which generates on-the-fly table entries, just as Assembly Cuts do, but flexibility is relatively recent to PTC.

**Not to be confused with the Flexible Modeling Extension, which is really a Direct Manipulation Extension.

Top Tags