cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

flat pattern from helical sweep (simple archimedes screw)

RonaldKetel
3-Visitor

flat pattern from helical sweep (simple archimedes screw)

Hi, 

I need to create a flat pattern from a simple helical flat screw. Can anybody help?!

I use creo parametric 2.0 including sheetmetal.screwblade-3d.png

5 REPLIES 5
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:RonaldKetel)

Sheetmetal won't help you here. Sheetmetal will give you flat patterns for press brake operations with a straight bends. Your part requires tooling.

You should look in the surface flatten. Maybe something like this: https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Modeling-Questions/Flatten/m-p/361522#M91385

Exactly what you said. I had to make a surface exactly like this to build a dust collection cyclone, and the only way to get a flat pattern was to use the surface flattening. It worked out pretty well, too. I'd imagine it would also be possible to create the flat pattern using equations, too.

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

The best way to illustrate is by example. See the attached files, creo2 file included. ThanksCapture.JPG

Thanks for your example.

I thought that the flat would be an open ring shape, meaning that both outer and inner curves would be arcs, with a certain radius. However the curves appeared to be (sort of) ellipses. Can that be the case or did something go wrong in the definition of the flatten quilt operation?

Thanks.

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

In that example, I modeled the helical shape with 360 deg turn. The inner/outer perimeter length is thus definitely more that  the perimeter of a planar circle with a same diameter. When the helical shape is flatten, it won't be a circular to preserve its true/same length ! Makes sense?

I have changed the same example so the helical sweep is below 360 and you can see the flatten shape is almost circular. Note that the flatten geometry won't be a true circular shape as it is in fact a project/wrap geometry, i.e. spline more likely. Hope this helps.

Top Tags