cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

having trouble generating flat pattern

slarsen
1-Newbie

having trouble generating flat pattern

Hi all,

I am trying to generate a flat pattern for a "sheet metal" part and not having any luck.

The modeling technique used a combination of surfaces that were merged together and made solid using the thicken command.

the boundary blend surface seems to be causing the flat pattern to choke.

I was unable to flatten the quilt using "flatten quilt" either.

Attached zip file contains part generated in Creo 2.0  if you are interested in taking a crack at it in a earlier version, let me know and I will rebuild the model.

Any suggestions or work around?

Should you come up with a working solution, you will be rewarded with my admiration and gratitude...

Thanks

Scott Larsen

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
John.Pryal
12-Amethyst
(To:slarsen)

Hi Scott, i do not work with sheet metal parts ever, i have never flattened a part in the way you require, but out of curiosity i looked at your part. I did notice something that might make a difference. Try adding side curve influence to both chains you have in the boundary bend surface. Doing this removes the spine you can see once the part is thickened. I don't know if this will make any difference at all, but its worth a try.

Good luck

John

I don't think that part will flatten due to the complex curvatures in the transition from the flat portion to the hook. Also keep in mind on sheet metal parts and creating them in general solids and surfaces and converting them to sheet metal is that the wall surface for the thickness must be perpendicular to the adjacent surface. That front tip might have some issues too. If you need a flat you might just have to create the part in the flat and then bend it using a form feature. Use your existing part to compare them in a dumby assembly and then refine your flat part until you get the design intent in this first model. Good luck.

Top Tags