cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

material appeareance - no color when assigning material

BR84
12-Amethyst

material appeareance - no color when assigning material

Dear All,

creo material appearance

I observe strange behaviour of creo in assigning colour that match material's appearance setup - part turn white after assigning material.

/my version 5.0.1.0, but it also was in previously installed 4.0/

Behaviour:

• Assign material to a part
    • There is no colour - part turns white from default colour
  • I modify the appearance /default appearance/
    • Save this material - by save to library
  • Assign modified material to a part colour was taken from the material appearance correctly
  • When I turn off the creo and reopen it
  • Assign same material modified before
  • There is no colour
    • Part turns white In material properties of this material
    • Nearly all colours in material appearances window, turned white

In my config.pro appearance catalog, color.dmt file - is set to default Creo 5.0.1.0\Common Files\graphic-library\appearances

How to fix it? Is there any options that controls this behaviour?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards!

11 REPLIES 11
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:BR84)

Hi,

I guess that color definition must be present in global.dmt file.

Martin Hanák

Same thing is happening to me. I can see that the global.dmt is not getting updated when I define the material appearance. Set the global_appearance_file option and made sure I have write access the the file too

Is this a bug?

Creo 4.0 M070

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:jim1)

I'm on Creo 3

I have a family table of parts where I swap out the material (offhand I think it is PTC_MATERIAL_NAME) for each instance.  Creo has ALWAYS had issues with this.  In my case what I found was that whatever the last appearance was in the instance either added to the assembly, or regenerated from the table, it made all the other instances that color but kept the actual correct material properties assigned to each instance.  Whew!  I don't believe that the color has to be in the .dmt file.  It shouldn't, because the model has the definition in the material.  I've changed the material of a non family table part and it updates just fine.

I'd say there's still a bug in the system from way back.

@Patriot_1776 wrote:

I'm on Creo 3

I have a family table of parts where I swap out the material (offhand I think it is PTC_MATERIAL_NAME) for each instance.  Creo has ALWAYS had issues with this.  In my case what I found was that whatever the last appearance was in the instance either added to the assembly, or regenerated from the table, it made all the other instances that color but kept the actual correct material properties assigned to each instance.  Whew!  I don't believe that the color has to be in the .dmt file.  It shouldn't, because the model has the definition in the material.  I've changed the material of a non family table part and it updates just fine.

I'd say there's still a bug in the system from way back.

Hi,

the behavior of family table models corresponds to the current Creo implementation ... nobody knows when PTC re-implements it properly.

Martin Hanák
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

@jim1 wrote:

Same thing is happening to me. I can see that the global.dmt is not getting updated when I define the material appearance. Set the global_appearance_file option and made sure I have write access the the file too

Is this a bug?

Creo 4.0 M070

Hi,

in the past (in Creo 2.0) I modified global.dmt file manually ... see below described procedure:

• I defined new model color
  • I opened Appearance Manager window ... new color was located in My Appearances section
  • in the same section I clicked File > Save As and entered _MH_appearance name ... all appearances were saved into _MH_appearance.dmt file in current working directory
  • I opened _MH_appearance.dmt file in Notepad++ selected color definition (see below shown example) and pasted it into globat.dmt
  • I deleted _MH_appearance.dmt file

# material name
material_name "ref_color54"
# material label
material_label "MH"
# material description
material_description ""
# material keywords
material_keywords ""
# ambient color
ambient_color 0.630000 0.330000 0.730000 1.000000
# diffuse color
diffuse_color 0.630000 0.330000 0.730000 1.000000
# specular color
specular_color 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000
# diffuse
diffuse 0.850000
# ambient
ambient 0.300000
# shine
shine 0.350000
# shine intensity
intensity 0.300000
# reflection
reflection 0.050000
# bump_type
bump_type 0
# amplitude
amplitude 1.000000
# scale
scale 0.100000
# exponent
exponent 3.000000
# rotation
rotation 0.000000
# color_tex_type
color_tex_type 0
# color_tex_scale
color_tex_scale 0.100000
# color_tex_rotation
color_tex_rotation 0.000000
# decal_type
decal_type 0
# transparency
transparency 0.000000
# fresnel index of refraction
index_of_refraction 1.000000
# fresnel reflections
fresnel_reflections 0

Martin Hanák

Thanks Martin but your method does not seem to work in Creo 4.0. I have a case open with PTC and they have assigned it to R&D. Something is not right with material appearances.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

@jim1 wrote:

Thanks Martin but your method does not seem to work in Creo 4.0. I have a case open with PTC and they have assigned it to R&D. Something is not right with material appearances.

Hi,

I tested my procedure in Creo 4.0 M100 and it works well.

In attached 2019-11-20_community_material_s_barvou.zip file you will find:

1.] global.dmt ... it is placed in E:\PTC\Creo4_M100\Creo 4.0\M100\Common Files\graphic-library\appearances on my computer

2.] prt0001.prt.2 ... test model

My model contains two materials:

1.] STEEL ... I added ptc-metallic-blue (available in global.dmt) color into it's definition and set it as Default

2.] PVC ... I added ptc-painted-red (available in global.dmt) color into it's definition and set it as Default

If I assign STEEL material to the model ... it is displayed in blue color.

If I assign PVC material to the model ... it is displayed in red color.

Martin Hanák

So it seems clear that the global.dmt must have the material appearance defined in it and if I have any custom appearances they have to be manually pasted into the global.dmt file.

Is this is how it is supposed to work?

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

@jim1 wrote:

So it seems clear that the global.dmt must have the material appearance defined in it and if I have any custom appearances they have to be manually pasted into the global.dmt file.

Is this is how it is supposed to work?

Yes, you hit the nail on the head 🙂

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin,

Just wanted to thank you for the tip on editing the global.dmt file with our custom material appearances. I think I have this working now.

Much appreciated,

Jim

I guess I've never bothered to manually modify the .dmt file in an editor of any kind.  I always just get the appearance I want in Creo then save the .dmt file.  I don't care what the actual values are, just how it looks.  Is there an advantage to manually fiddling with it?  As I understand it, it STILL wouldn't fix the instance issue.

Top Tags