cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

multi level parameters

ptc-1035376
1-Newbie

multi level parameters

I have a dimension being controlled by a "multi level" parameter. It is similar to as shown below:

d3154=LENGTH

Parameter "LENGTH" is derived by another parameter. Its name is named "LENGTH_MORE"

"LENGTH_MORE" parameter is derived from a combination of text as well as other parameters.

The syntax in the relations for paramter LENGTH_MORE looks like this:

LENGTH_MORE= LENGTH_A + "_1X:FID_PARENT_SETUP:0"

So within the paremeter LENGTH_MORE it is pulling another paremter (LENGTH_A).

For the purposes of this question LENGTH_A=R4

The final value of LENGTH_MORE (after combinding the data above) may look something like: "R4_1X:FID_PARENT_SETUP:0"

Now: As you can see there is the ":0" at the end of the statement. That is I am pulling parameter "R4_1X" from feature id "PARENT_SETUP" within another part.

I can get the parameter LENGTH to have the correct syntax (in this instance it would show up as R4_1X:FID_PARENT_SETUP:0.

When I place the statement d3154=LENGTH. I get the error "invalid left side of assignment". I think it has something to do with the fact the parameters are switching to string but am unsure what the issue is.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ptc-1035376)

You can't refer to parameters dynamically. By that I mean, you can't use the value set in one parameter as the source name for another parameter you want to read. Yes, this is done all the time in regular programming, but you cannot do it in Pro/e. Even using Microsoft Excel you can put a value in a cell and then tell a different cell to read the value of the location specified in the first cell. Basically you have created a dynamic, changeable reference. This doesn't work in Pro/e. The closest you can get is using multiple IF statements for each possible value you want to read.

Tom U.

Top Tags