cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

need help with NOMENCLATURE

ptc-5382392
1-Newbie

need help with NOMENCLATURE

hi all,

I am told by my colleagues that Pro-E can simply NOT manage a part naming system like the one I show below because there are letters and numbers in it, see the part numbered 100138 as follows:

MP100138 X04 Stirrup

it is a Mechanical Part, number 100138, in development (as noted by X, the major version) and is in 4 iteration generation (4 minor version).

it can go through 99 total minor variations, and 3 major variations (X,then Y and lastly Z) before official release in A01 revision

upon release it would then become

MP100138 A01 Stirrup.

any tech drawing would be identified as;

TK100138 A01 Stirrup

any report (inOffice Word or something) would be ;

RP100138 A01 Stirrup

a manufacturing jig dedicated to the part would be;

JG100138 A01 Stirrup (note if the part changes, MP100138 B03 Stirrup; the proper jig is then JG 100138 B03 Stirrup).

I have used extensively this part naming convention inthe past, with Solidworks, and it works great. there is lots of context sensitive information in the naming convention and you can easily manage information. Why can Pro E not manage this??? or what could my colleagues mean (they seem to blame it on the automatic backups pro E generates... ).

let me know!!!!!!! right now our nomenclature is sooooooo bad no one can navigate in it.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

My first question is if you are using a data management system (Intralink, Windchill). In those you can use the Name field just like you want. The only problem with the actual filename is not that there are letters and numbers, but that there are spaces. Pro/E file naming is STILL limited by the rules of Unix. Spaces and a number of other symbols are not allowed for filenames. The general practice is to substitute and underscore (_) for a space or slash (/) for instance. Also, you may not see a difference for the upper and lower case letters.

Hope this helps.

The limitation (aside from space and slash**) is on dynamic naming, where the model names change with the release level and dynamic naming resolution where references are somehow updated to find the renamed files. Dynamic naming and resolution is not supported by the PTC family of CAD products. It is supported (sort-of) by the PTC PDM products, but I'm not sure you would be happy with that either. With your method it should be possible to have an assembly of all the versions of a part, which I'm pretty sure can be handled by the references in the PDM products, but not by the CAD products. There is no reason you can't do a save-as on model names and repair the references in the drawings and assemblies, but why would you want to?

**This is not a UNIX limitation. From the Wikipedia entry "Filename" "Note 1: While they are allowed in Unix file and folder names, most Unix shells require certain characters such as spaces, <, >, |, \, and sometimes :, (, ), &, ;, #, as well as wildcards such as ? and *, to be quoted or escaped:" Under HP-UX, non-printing characters were allowed: newline, tab, backspace, and others. It is a PTC decision on spaces and slashes. They also disallow uppercase characters in filenames (used to) and force in-memory names to be all upper case.

Top Tags