cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

sketch relations using a saved analysis

slarsen-2
1-Newbie

sketch relations using a saved analysis

In an assembly I have one sketch which is a rectangle that surrounds a couple parts that are stacked.  I use the analysis / measure / length tool to get the length of that sketched curve.  I save this measurement as a feature which now appears on my model tree.  Now I want to sketch a new curve that is a simple circle and I want to diameter to be derived from the length of the earlier rectangular curve (the analysis that I just saved) so the diameter will be = length / pi.    - resulting in a circle that will have the same perimeter as the rectangle.

I know how to create a relation in the sketch.  The problem I have is getting the "saved analysis" length to come into the relations equation.  I've read a few things that lead me to believe that I should be able to do this, I guess I have yet to master the syntax correctly or I'm chasing the wrong method.

Your help is appreciated.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

I did a bit of search engine action and found the following:

The syntax for relating the analysis features is as follows:

parameter_name:FID_analysis_feature_name

Thus, if you were using the length from Analysis feature Analysis1 it would be:

length:FID_Analysis1

When I've done this in the past, I've always ended up needing to do a bit of iteration to get it to work. Also, you might need to have the relation in the "Post Regeneration" area to ensure it uses the latest values.

Ah, I feel bad not having realized a sketch relation was the target. For that, maybe this technique will work:

(1) Declare a "regular" part parameter, say "valPart"

(2) Use a part relation to assign it the measured relation, such as "valPart = valMeasured"

(3) Use "valPart" in your sketch relation.

You can get to standard part parameters in sketch relations. It's a little more convoluted, but works.

Keneth,

I think that Scott does not need to create section relation, necessarily. From my point of view the main purpose of section relations is to define properties inside section.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin,

Yeah, I thought the same, but still felt, for completeness, it might be nice to address the specifics of a section relation versus a part one. I've used sketch relations quite a bit, and see some advantages to them (isolation of a group of calculations into their own little "unit"). However, there are also disadvantages, like the lack of transparency of the equations when something goes wrong, difficulty of using dimensions from other features in your equations, etc.

Scott,

you cannot create section relation, because it does not recognize LENGTH:FID_name parameter. You can create Feature (in my model created in CR2 M070) or Part relation.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
Top Tags