cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

where are the datum planes?

ItzikBenShabat
1-Newbie

where are the datum planes?

Hi,

For some unknown reason the datum planes of the part attached are not visible or usable (even though they exist).

how can i fix this? i wish to use the planes for reference.

thanks...

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello Itzik, long time no chat! Are you ready for kickoff?

As far as the Datums, you will find that all datums have been turned off for this part.

You will have to click the icon above the model tree that looks like a sheet of paper and select "Layers Tree". Then select all the layers that are grayed out, RMB and select "Unhide".

Attached is the file with all those datums unhidden.

Further, if you RMB on "01__PRT_ALL_DTM_PLN", you will see that it has a Rule set to recursively look for new datum planes and add them to this layer. This is sometimes a useful tool for cleaning up the appearance or usability of parts and/or assemblies.

Please post if there are any further questions.

Good luck for the 2013 season!

Josh

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Your version is an educational version so the full version cannot open your files.

I have had datums become "unstable" by which I mean inaccessible in some cases, and always visible in others regardless of hide state. This was always due to applying the ISO style datum tags. Adding a datum annotation to a plane makes them "unstable".

It could also be that you created the datum inside a feature and they become part of the feature and they hide themselves once the feature is accepted. The only time you can access these datums again is to edit the feature. I don't know how to make them accessible outside of that feature. it is similar to sketched hiding if they are created in a feature creation process.

Let us know if you find something else that may be causing this.

sorry, yes, it is educational. the file is of the first robotics competeition kit of parts.

the datums that i was reffering to were the main datum planes ( front, right and top).

if someone assigned an iso note how can i remove it?

thanks

Can you take a screen shot and post that?

Yes, been there, done that. 1st you need to change them back to the ANSI datums ( [-A-] ) and then you can delete them from the feature tree. You will need to have the annotation tab active to see these things in the tree.

Careful however!!! WARNING! Manipulating these ISO datum tags in the drawing has caused some very hard crashes in Creo 2.0. I gave up on ISO datum tags and started using symbol versions instead. SAVE OFTEN!

Anyway, you can change the datum properties to the old style and that should release the plane from being hostage to the annotation. It doesn't matter if they are primary datums or later additions. This is a serious bug that no one at PTC seems to care about. It has been assigned a SPR after a lot of work with CS but nothing has come out of it yet that I know of.

Hello Itzik, long time no chat! Are you ready for kickoff?

As far as the Datums, you will find that all datums have been turned off for this part.

You will have to click the icon above the model tree that looks like a sheet of paper and select "Layers Tree". Then select all the layers that are grayed out, RMB and select "Unhide".

Attached is the file with all those datums unhidden.

Further, if you RMB on "01__PRT_ALL_DTM_PLN", you will see that it has a Rule set to recursively look for new datum planes and add them to this layer. This is sometimes a useful tool for cleaning up the appearance or usability of parts and/or assemblies.

Please post if there are any further questions.

Good luck for the 2013 season!

Josh

you becha ! we are ready TO GO... .if only creo wasnt crashing all the time.... (been experiencing a variety of technical difficulties this year- Mark is trying to help us solve them)

that solved it!

thanks

Glad to hear somebody else has been keeping Mark on his toes lately! I was worried he might have felt neglected since I haven't bugged him much the past few weeks!

I can't say that I've seen too many crashes with Creo 2 lately. I hope you guys get it figured out. Please pass on any suggestions if you find any improvements.

2 more days!!

Josh

Top Tags