cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Create COG Point that Dynamically Updates

BobCondra
1-Newbie

Create COG Point that Dynamically Updates

I have a model that I need to measure the distance from a surface to the center of gravity of the part. I need to be able to tweak the geometry so that this distance is the value that I need.

When I use the Mass Properties function, it shows what appears to be a coordinate system at the center of gravity. Is there any way to save this coordinate system, or create a point at the center of gravity? I could then use this to measure from the COG to my surface and watch it change with the geometry updates.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob Condra

Mechanical Engineer

Trijicon,Inc.

248-960-7700 Ext.1147

49385 Shafer Avenue | P.O. Box 930059

Wixom, Michigan 48393 US

- | www.trijicon.com

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:BobCondra)

On 11/13/14 13:10, Bob Condra wrote:
>
> I have a model that I need to measure the distance from a surface to the center of gravity of the part. I need to be able to tweak the geometry so that this distance is the value that I need.
>
> When I use the Mass Properties function, it shows what appears to be a coordinate system at the center of gravity. Is there any way to save this coordinate system, or create a point at the center of gravity?
>

Simply choose to create a feature and then select point:

Randy,

Thanks for the quick response. This would be easy, except we do not have BMX.

Is there another way around it if we do not have BMX? Is there a way to extract the information from the MassProperties feature? Maybe through relations?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob Condra

Mechanical Engineer

Trijicon,Inc.

248-960-7700 Ext.1147

Wixom, Michigan 48393 US

- | www.trijicon.com
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:BobCondra)

On 11/13/14 13:47, Bob Condra wrote:
>
> Randy,
>
> Thanks for the quick response. This would be easy, except we do not have BMX.
>
> Is there another way around it if we do not have BMX?
>

Yes. You can still create a feature and create xcog, ycog, and zcog parameters. Then simply create a (offset from coordinate system) point and use relations to make the points dimensions equal to the *cog parameters.

> Is there a way to extract the information from the MassProperties feature? Maybe through relations?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob
>
> **
>
> *
>
> Bob Condra
>
> *
>
> **Mechanical Engineer
>
> **
>
> Trijicon,Inc.
>
> 248-960-7700 Ext.1147
>
> 49385 Shafer Avenue | P.O. Box 930059
>
> Wixom, Michigan 48393 US
>
> - | www.trijicon.com
>
> *From:*Randy Jones [ |www.trijicon.com <">http://www.trijicon.com>
>
> /
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> /
>
> /This electronic message contains information that may be confidential, privileged, proprietary, or subject to the export control laws of the United States, including the Arms Export Control Act (22 U.S.C. 2571 et seq.), the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (22 C.F.R. Part 120 et seq.),
> and/or the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. Part 730 et seq.). This information is intended for the use of the addressee only, and if you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, printing, or any other use of, the contents of this message is prohibited.
> Any transfer, retransfer, or disclosure of this data to a Foreign Person without United States Government authorization is also prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and destroy the original message./
>
> -----End Original Message-----
>
>
>
>
> --
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Randy Jones
> Systems Administrator
> Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
> 1525 E North St
> PO Box 5060
> Salina, KS USA 67401
> email:- <">mailto:->
> Phone: 785-823-3276
> Fax: 785-667-2695
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
1525 E North St
PO Box 5060
Salina, KS USA 67401
email: -
Phone: 785-823-3276
Fax: 785-667-2695
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have received a couple of other responses, and they both use the same basic methodology. Using the general mass properties features.

The issue is that a model regeneration does not update the mass properties values. It requires a manual update of the mass properties. The screen shot below shows generally how I have done this with a relation. The d26, d27, and d28 are the x,y,z offsets for my ‘CENTEROFGRAVITY’ coordinate system.

I also have a feature called MASS_PROP_1, which contains the center of gravity information, and this COG updates with every regeneration. Is there a way to extract the x,y,z data from this feature?
[cid:image001.jpg@01CFFF62.E35D3C90]

Thanks,

Bob

Bob Condra

Mechanical Engineer

Trijicon,Inc.

248-960-7700 Ext.1147

Wixom, Michigan 48393 US

- | www.trijicon.com
Top Tags