cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Create flattened quilt of merged surfaces

bbroholm
1-Newbie

Create flattened quilt of merged surfaces

Hi All

It seems like I can't get the flatten quilt feature to work properly.

Model_surface.PNG

The first picture shows the model created as surfaces without any kind  of round feature between the different surfaces.

The boundary blend feature is created with free boundaries between the surfaces.

When I try to use the flatten quilt feature it will not recognize the surface as a quilt, and therefore won't select the surface.

If the boundary blend feature is created using tangent or curved boundaries or the corners are rounded after the boundary blend using free boundaries, then the flatten quilt feature recognizes the surface but now I get a warning that the features can not be created without errors.

Error_warning.PNG

There are no highlighted edges to be found on the model as described in the troubleshooting dialog.

Does anybody have any idea as to what I'm doing wrong or why this won't work??

Thanks in advance

/Brian

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

I suspect it's tangency between adjacent surfaces, but can't be sure just from looking. I have had some unhappy experiences with this type of thing myself, trying to make flat patterns for contoured two-piece surfaces. For one particular model, I had to do the following:

(1) Make a flattened quilt of each surface.

(2) Save the individual flattened quilts to separate files (I think I used STEP, IGES might also work).

(3) Create a part for each of the flattened quilts.

(4) Make an assembly, and assemble the flattened quilt parts. I think this is where I realized that the point specified in the flatten quilt operation is important, and needs to be the same point for the two surfaces? I don't remember, it was years ago.

(5) Once I have an assembly of the flattened quilts that is okay, build a new one using the boundary geometry or by merging the quilts.

I know, it's a tedious process and "breaks" the parametric link between original geometry and final geometry, but it was the only thing I could find that did the job.

Top Tags