cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Creo simulate laptop specs

kenneth_c
5-Regular Member

Creo simulate laptop specs

A customer asked us which requirements a laptop needs to run Creo simulate smoothly.

The customer runs dynamic analysis and can run for more than 12 hours.

What uses Creo simulate to make simulations is this: CPU power (1 or multiple cores), RAM or graphic card?

His colleagues have Dell laptops with intel xeon W-10855M 2.8 Ghz, 64 Gb RAM and Nvidia quadro T1000 4Gb is this enough for running fast simulations?

Are there some settings like the allocation memory that could help to speed up his simulations?

5 REPLIES 5
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:kenneth_c)

The specs that you listed will be fine for a Creo Simulate analysis. The speed of the analysis will really depend on the complexity of the model and how you have setup the model. For instance if you have contacts, it is non-linear and the solver will need to iterate multiple times to find a solution.

There is an internal memory setting in the program. Increasing the memory it is allocated for the analysis will make it run quicker but it can also lead to it running out of memory so there is a balancing act to figure out a proper number. You can setup batch jobs and have them run over night so that speed isn't as big a concern.

Modal analyses can take up 10s of Gigs of hard drive space so be prepared for that.

kenneth_c
5-Regular Member
(To:Chris3)

Thank you for your quick respons.

Can you also tell me more about: What uses Creo simulate to make simulations is this: CPU power (1 or multiple cores), RAM or graphic card?

So i can inform my customer about this.

Chris3
20-Turquoise

I am not sure I understand your question, but be advised that most calculations are serial not parallel and as such can not use multiple cores. More information about multithreading is here:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS115541

If you have extra dollars to spend get a SSD and more RAM.

kenneth_c
5-Regular Member
(To:Chris3)

So you mean that it is better to take a higher Ghz for the CPU then more cores to run fast simulations?

Chris3
20-Turquoise

For this application, yes I think that is the conclusion although I have no metrics to support that. The CPU is not likely going to be your limiting factor though. More RAM and a fast SSD are better things to dump money into for this application.

Top Tags