cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Discussion about p and h refinement in meshing.

OptimistishHerr
12-Amethyst

Discussion about p and h refinement in meshing.

As I am studying some basics of the meshing in FEM.

I found the two kinds on refinement done in FEM Meshing. During the Simulation i have seen the Auto Gem Controls in which we can manipulate the size, length etc.

Is there any way of p refinement in Creo?

or it does it automatically during the calculation?image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes you can P refine both manual and automatic.

Here is where the settings are made.

Three Methods...   

Single pass adaptive, runs two passes, adjusting the order between automatically.

Quick Check, runs order P= 3

Multipass adaptive, runs several passes starting with minimum order and increasing order where needed up to the max order.  The convergence measures and percent can be controlled.

My manual method uses Multipass adaptive.   

Set minimum to 2, maximum to 2 to run at P= 2

Set minimum to 3, maximum to 3 to run at P = 3.  etcetera.

The limitation with manual adaptive is every element has the same order.

P order settingsP order settings

Also you can plot the P-orders used.  

P Level PlotP Level Plot

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Yes you can P refine both manual and automatic.

Here is where the settings are made.

Three Methods...   

Single pass adaptive, runs two passes, adjusting the order between automatically.

Quick Check, runs order P= 3

Multipass adaptive, runs several passes starting with minimum order and increasing order where needed up to the max order.  The convergence measures and percent can be controlled.

My manual method uses Multipass adaptive.   

Set minimum to 2, maximum to 2 to run at P= 2

Set minimum to 3, maximum to 3 to run at P = 3.  etcetera.

The limitation with manual adaptive is every element has the same order.

P order settingsP order settings

Also you can plot the P-orders used.  

P Level PlotP Level Plot

Babuska, I., und Suri, M. "The p- and h-p Versions of the Finite Element Method, an Overview." Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 80 (1990): 5-26.
Babuska, I., und Szabo, B. "On the Rates of Convergency of the Finite Element Method." International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering. 18 (1982): 323-341.
Babuska, I., Szabo, B., und Katz, I. N. "The p-Version of the Finite Element Method." Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics. (1981): 515-545.
Szabo, B. "Geometric Idealizations in Finite Element Computations." Communications in Applied Numerical Methods. 4 (1988): 393-400.
Szabo, B. "Mesh Design for the p-Version of the Finite Element Method." Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 55 (1986): 181-197.
Szabo, Barna, und Ivo Babuska. Finite Element Analysis. New York:Wiley, 1991.
Szabo, B., und Sahrmann, G. "Hierarchic Plate and Shell Models Based on p-Extension." International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering. 26 (1988): 1855-1881.

Top Tags