cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Honeycomb laminate analysis

ErikClacey
12-Amethyst

Honeycomb laminate analysis

Hi,

Asking for advice on how to analyse an aluminum honeycomb panel. The layup is 0.5mm aluminium sheet, 20mm aluminium honeycomb structure and a final aluminium sheet. These make up a plate of 400x400mm. How should I set this up for best analysis in Creo Simulate? I'm thinking the Shell feature would be the right way and make a laminate material. Should one then have the honeycomb as a material type, to be defined, or should one define a Laminate Stiffness and use that shell as the middle layer?

Alternatively define the honeycomb material as an Orthotropic material and apply that to a geometric part representing the honeycomb core?

Furthermore, any hints or suggestions to such properties, as I have not yet dealt with honeycomb structural properties?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I would model the honeycomb as non-solid quilt then assign shell properties.

You can make use of patterns to assemble the honeycomb. In hindsight, I would probably make it larger than needed then cut down to 400mmx400mm to assist in making the pattern work.

In order to get the honeycomb to attach you need to set the default interface to BONDED.

The magenta lines (2nd image) will tell you it has joined. (Review Geometry command)

For screwing I would probably make circular  "surface regions" at each screw location and then join with rigids. You could also add some cylindrical non-solid surfaces to use for screw attachment.

In summary, I would not try to use Creo laminate layup properties, but rather build the structure as shown with simple shell properties.

Keep in mind when doing the honeycomb pattern that walls are shared and you do not want two of the same wall coincident to each other.

in other words, the pattern will contain partial hexagons.

SweetPeasHub_0-1642440650119.png

SweetPeasHub_1-1642440794888.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

Useful article - "How to simulate composite materials in Mechanica mode in Pro/MECHANICA, Creo Elements/Pro Mechanica and Creo Simulate": https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS95793 

I guess it would depend upon what you are trying to analyze and the loading conditions being imposed. In the past I was looking at a honeycomb "sandwich" structure like you are describing. It was a 10 inch diameter disk with cutout at center, loaded with bolts, etc. I was able to model and run an analysis on the assembly using actual built honeycomb. Trying to model the whole part and analyze it was not a success due to the number of geometric entities and resultant elements in the model. What made it work was the realization that my situation was symmetric about two orthogonal datum planes. I was able to cut the element count to 1/4 the original amount with symmetry constraints and after that it ran. It wasn't a "look away, turn back and it's done" solver situation, but still it was nice to have a model of the actual geometry. Actual honeycomb properties are nonisotropic, as you likely know.

Thanks. Well my description is a simplification of the target analysis. The target is a box, all 6 faces of the honeycomb/sandwich panel, screwed interfaces between them all and then units/components of varying masses attached here and there on the inside and outside of this box. Furthermore, the fixation point to the "external" input forces/loads is through a defined circulatr milled structure attached to the external face of one of the panels.

I would model the honeycomb as non-solid quilt then assign shell properties.

You can make use of patterns to assemble the honeycomb. In hindsight, I would probably make it larger than needed then cut down to 400mmx400mm to assist in making the pattern work.

In order to get the honeycomb to attach you need to set the default interface to BONDED.

The magenta lines (2nd image) will tell you it has joined. (Review Geometry command)

For screwing I would probably make circular  "surface regions" at each screw location and then join with rigids. You could also add some cylindrical non-solid surfaces to use for screw attachment.

In summary, I would not try to use Creo laminate layup properties, but rather build the structure as shown with simple shell properties.

Keep in mind when doing the honeycomb pattern that walls are shared and you do not want two of the same wall coincident to each other.

in other words, the pattern will contain partial hexagons.

SweetPeasHub_0-1642440650119.png

SweetPeasHub_1-1642440794888.png

Very interesting method. I'll try that. Thanks

Top Tags