cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Sweeping tangent to surface

JLude_86
1-Newbie

Sweeping tangent to surface

Hey all, I'm still relatively new to creo but im picking it up quickly. One problem I've had over several of my models I've been working on lately is sweeping along a surface. I have a particular shape I want to sweep along the side of my part but whenever I attempt to do it, I gives me the following error: "WARNING: Highlighted entitites not exactly tangent; probably overdimensioned."

I've tried everything I can think of to tackle this problem from editing the sketched section by adding and removing chunks of the sketch to try to narrow down a particular point on it that might be causing the problem. I also tried changing the trajectory sketches to incorporate various radii and altering the dimensions of those to study the result without success. If anyone one has any insight I would appreciate it, like I said this isnt the first time I've had this problem and I'm really getting tired of changing the design of my part becasue I cant get creo to do what I want.

A little about the sweep section, I am projecting the sketch from the surface as shown in the first image. I have also tried drawing the sketch without using the projection method thinking the source geometry may be at fault with the same result.

I'm using Creo Parametric 1.0 btw.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I think you are having a problem with accuracy settings. The new feature is probably skimming just at the surface and it has conflicts with "near tangency". The warning messages are not much help, but I've run into this before. You can try setting absolute accuracy (config.pro allows using it, model properties sets it), but that is no guarantee.

What I will recommend is sweeping that sketch with "significant interference". in other words, place the new feature will into the existing feature. Just add bulk and adjust the origin trajectory to allow for it.

You could also consider doing this with surfaces if you want mitered ends. When you joint the surfaces, they will trim as a mitered and. You can add your own rounds to the miters if that is what you want.

Sometimes it is like pulling teeth. Sweeps do require tangent paths, and small features in big models do require model accuracy management. You are certainly not alone in this frustration.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I think you are having a problem with accuracy settings. The new feature is probably skimming just at the surface and it has conflicts with "near tangency". The warning messages are not much help, but I've run into this before. You can try setting absolute accuracy (config.pro allows using it, model properties sets it), but that is no guarantee.

What I will recommend is sweeping that sketch with "significant interference". in other words, place the new feature will into the existing feature. Just add bulk and adjust the origin trajectory to allow for it.

You could also consider doing this with surfaces if you want mitered ends. When you joint the surfaces, they will trim as a mitered and. You can add your own rounds to the miters if that is what you want.

Sometimes it is like pulling teeth. Sweeps do require tangent paths, and small features in big models do require model accuracy management. You are certainly not alone in this frustration.

Thank you! That did the trick. I had to do some research into how to change from absolute to relative but once i did that and played with the accuracy a bit I havnt had any issues so far. The company I work for mainly does smaller parts so this is very valuable information to me.

So again thank you!

Happy to help, Jason Glad this worked for you.

Top Tags