cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Testing a Spring in Simulate; Fatal error

ptc-325525
1-Newbie

Testing a Spring in Simulate; Fatal error

I am having trouble with using the spring idealization in simulate. We are on Creo 9.0.8.0. I read through the different PTC resources and have tried a variety of different tactics to see if I could get a model that makes sense. At this point, I think it has to be a lack of experience/understanding on my part. I attached the files I could. I am at the point now where I will probably just create a surrogate material with the properties I need to continue, but I would like to understand where I am going wrong. 
I used Spring point-point pairs where the point is on the surface of the model. Tried constraining the points to be rigid and leaving them free. Tried "burying" the point inside the material. Tried using holes in the material with the points centered on them with both rigid and free connections. 

We tried to go through our reseller to have their consultant help, but unfortunately that guy had some recent medical trouble and is unavailable. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Chris3
21-Topaz I
(To:ptc-325525)

It depends on what you are trying to analyze and simulate, but I typically use a point that has a rigid element (RB2) to solid elements. I have two points like this with a spring in between. You have to make sure that the added stiffness from the RB2 doesn't cause inadvertent effects. Depending on what you are trying to do, you can also use a beam element if that is easier to define. I personally like beam elements because instead of typing in 0 for beam release, you can check off the DOF in the GUI.

How many degrees of freedom (DOF) are you trying to react? Do you have a spring rate for all directions that you need?

Hi Chris,

I constrained the points of the spring for all DOGs to be fixed, but also tried constraining in different ways that would allow translation in the expected direction.  Yes, the springs had the stiffness value added in. I also tried including spring properties to add the stiffness in the other directions (Kxx, Kyy, Kzz).

As far as beam elements go, I have seen many posts that talk about using them instead of spring. It sounds like they might be easier to work with in the Creo simulate, but I've never needed to use them. Sounds like I could give those a shot.

Chris3
21-Topaz I
(To:ptc-325525)

so just as a test did you try putting 1e10 into all of the directions in advanced mode? It still failed?

Announcements

Top Tags