cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Arbortext Publishing Engine cannot see profiles when publsihing

bfriesen
16-Pearl

Arbortext Publishing Engine cannot see profiles when publsihing

When publishing with APE, if any profile is selected, we get red page published with no content. It seems that it cannot see our pcf files. Has anyone else seen this.

Bryon

8 REPLIES 8

In cases like this it is worth checking that the custom folders match between your Editor desktops and the PE server. If you haven't already done so, be sure to copy over the .pcf file to the server. On the server itself you can use the PE Interactive application to help debug.

Thanks Gareth, I did think about the mismatch issue and double checked files that the files are identical.

Should my custom application folder be located in the C:\Program Files\PTC\Arbortext PE\application\ folder or should it be located in C:\Program Files\PTC\Arbortext PE\custom? I tried using the APTCUSTOM but PE would never find my application.

Bryon

You should definitely be using APTCUSTOM, failing that it is the "custom" folder but that is very much not recommended. Most likely reason APTCUSTOM isn't being seen by PE is that you have set this environment variable for a user account, whereas PE usually run as the SYSTEM account. You need to set the environment variable at the system level.

Under the environmental variables, I have the APTCUSTOM Variable set under system variables, with the link going to my networked location of my application. This setup works for all my authors using Editor, just not PE. From PE I can copy the link and paste it into the search bar, and it will open the zip file. SO I know it has access to the file. On PE it creates a pecustomzipmap.xml file in the windows temp folder. Which has the path to the application in it. It does not create a pecustomzip folder with the application in it. There are two e3temp folders that do show up with a .aptcache, ZC folder. But the ZC folder is empty. If I go to my user,  appdata, .aptcache, ZC folder, the application is there. If I go to the APE page and check the status under the initializer 'customzipinit', System Information, the APTCUSTOM has the correct path listed.  but there is a warning:

• APTCUSTOM entry 0 ('\\XXX.com\XXXserver\arbortext publications\Current Illustration Templates\Style Sheet\SMA_XXX\com.arbortext.sma.XXX_tia.zip') does not exist or is not accessible

ON the Arbortext Publishing Engine Configuration Screen the service account identity is Launching User. Should it be something else??

Thanks

Bryon

OK there's your answer then - the user account that PE is running as does not have sufficient network access to retrieve the .zip file from the network location. This is really a question for your IT team: what user account should PE be running as in order to get network access to that shared drive?

Thanks for the response. So I copied the application to the c: drive of the server. Deleted all the other applications I had on it. Cleared the cache and temp files. I rebooted the server. Now, I get the pecustomunzip folder to show up in the windows temp folder. In it is a folder named with our application. But the only contents of the folder is one app folder that is empty. If if go to the APE site and check the Initializer 'CustomZipInit' errors i now get 

• Failed to restore zipped custom directory 'C:\XXX_application\com.arbortext.sma.XXX_tia.zip' to 'C:\Windows\TEMP\pecustomunzip\com.arbortext.sma.XXX_tia'; message='Failed to find entry in zip archive 'C:\XXX_application\com.arbortext.sma.XXX_tia.zip'.'.

Will look into the permissions on the launching user and see if that is the issue.

Thanks 

Bryon

Still no luck, getting closer though... followed the instructions Configuring a User Account, found here: http://support.ptc.com/help//arbortext_hc/ae71_hc/en/index.html#page/PE%2Fpeinstall%2Fpe1020.html

Went to run editor interactive after and got an error [A30287]Unable to register COM class objects (Possible cause: not logged in as user required to run COM object): 0x80004015

Went to the help system and found Article - CS48503 which details this.

Now I can open editor interactive and it does not throw an error. Still no profiles though. I check my temp folder and my zc folder is there with the application in it. I checked my new named user temp folder and the pecustomunzip folder is not there. The two e3temp folders have .aptcache folders with ZC folders that are also empty.

The COM object error doesn't have anything to do with your custom folders. It is just a warning because it sounds like the user profile you're in for PE Interactive doesn't have sufficient privileges to connect to a COM object. e.g. you are starting PE Interactive under your own user profile, but it needs more access rights.

The custom folder thing is probably still a permissions issue. It sounds like you are not running PE as SYSTEM? If not, then you will need to follow those same steps you sent the link to for whatever user account that PE is running as. You may need to check in with PTC support on this one as running PE as another user besides SYSTEM can be a little complicated.

Top Tags