cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Calling functions of the editor from C#

ptc-3115379
1-Newbie

Calling functions of the editor from C#

Hello , I'm relativly new to the arbortext editor and have a task to find a way to access the editor from an other program to open a xml document, display it and access positions in the document through xpath-expressions. At the moment I am working with an evaluation copy of the arbortext editor, it takes a moment at the company to get a license key, but the app is used in the company, so that should be no issue . I am developing in C#, as it is used through the project. In my program workflow, the end user gets presented a list of comparison results, selects one, and a arbortext editor window shall be opened with the document, called from another open program I am working on. So far, I have found out, that I can add the editor ( epic.dll ) as reference. From there I have several classes and methods I can use, but somehow I am missing some examples or documentation how to use the exported classes and methods. Are there some examples how to use those classes, apart from the provided samples, that only use existing editor windows I can't rely on. Thanks for any idea ! greetings, roland
2 REPLIES 2

Hello again. I'm replying to myself, talking to myself is in the most times an interesting psychological approach . So far I have found out that I can create an editor window with the createWindow-method from the application class, but unfortunatly, this method seems to be new with version 5.4 . For our production environment, version 5.2 is to be used, and 5.2 does not have this method 😕 . Greetings, roland

Hello Roland, you may want to take a look at "Epic.ApplicationClass" as your instance of an Arbortext Editor. As soon as you have this instance (and window) you can do your work in two ways: 1.) use the Epic.ApplicationClass.* to manipulate the AE pro: pure c# code con: no real documentation ( try & error) 2.) use Instance.Acl.Execute / Eval pro: more or less good documentation for all the acl functions pro: you can test the scripts, without running your c# code (command-line) con: mixing 2 languages and you need to learn some acl. I hope this helps a bit. Greetings
Top Tags