cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Cross Reference Help!

JonMarcum
1-Newbie

Cross Reference Help!

I want to create a cross reference in Arbortext that opens a PDF or Word document that is located in Windchill. Is this possible? The resource manager only displays DITA content even when the "TYPE" filter at the bottom of the resource manager is set to "PDF or "Any".

FYI, I was able to accomplish this with a Word document that is located on a network drive.

5 REPLIES 5

I used AE 6.0 and created a DITA topic with a reference to a PDF file in Windchill that I had previously uploaded. What I noticed in the Resource Manager, is that anything non-DITA displayrd like a graphic (the graphic symbol was used). So even though I had a PDF and I could see the pdf file, the RM couldn't differentiate between that file and a graphics file. But, it was indeed a PDF. When I created the xref in the dita document, the link said it was for a PDF. And, when I created HTML Help and hit the xref button, the PDF opened in a new window.

So choose "Any" but then look for files in the view that end in .pdf. I don't know offhand if that can be differentiated any further in the Resource Manager.

Thanks.

Xref_to_Windchill.png

Thank you for looking into this for me, but my issue is that even if I select "Any" or "PDF" as a filter in the resource manager it will not display anything but DITA content or graphics.

Thanks!

Here is a example where I browsed to a location with the filter set to "Any" where I know a PDF exists:

Arbortext+Screenshot+1.jpg

View from Windchill:

Windchill+Screenshot+1.jpg

Thanks for the display... Is the RM displaying the correct things, PDF, Any, etc. in your local file system?

Do you have customizations? Does the same thing happen in a non-customized Editor if you do?

Thanks.

Does this lead you towards the desired result. Insert a <P> element inside the element insert a xref element. Modify attributes, the href should have three dots beside it. Click on them, change type to any and choose the location of the file and select it. Choose modify and it should show up for you. Not sure how to give it a title though.

The Resource manager of the Editor cannot "see" all of the kinds of documents that are in the folder. Are the PDFs WTDocuments? The reason I could see them is that "the bursting process will create it as a GraphicDynamicDocument, it doesn’t create it as the normal WTDocument".

This is why I also saw these PDF docs as having Graphics Icons.

Top Tags