cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Errors parsing XSL-FO when using special characters in folder name

JustinDearing
1-Newbie

Errors parsing XSL-FO when using special characters in folder name

This forum has been such a help to me implementing MIL-STD 40051C using Arbortext Editor 5.3 and Print Composer, I thought I would share a bug I found.

I kept gettting errors with parsing of the v1.7 LOGSA XSL-FO when trying to use Print Composer but only in certain directories. I narrowed it down to my placement of a % sign in the folder name which of course ended up in the full path name when SAX would try to parse, throwing the error.

So, if you run into this same problem, just remove the special character(s) from your directory structure and you should be able to generate a print preview.

8 REPLIES 8

Hi Justin-

Thanks for the tip. I would say that's probably good advice in general,
not just for XSL-FO: try to stick to alphanumeric characters, and maybe
underscores for path names as much as possible, and you will avoid a lot
of headaches. I would even avoid spaces as much as possible, as they
have been known to confound a variety of software systems (including
certain components of Arbortext if you neglect to quote things
properly).

--Clay

I'd like to add one more thing to Justin's comment.

I try to avoid using and spaces in my file names or paths. I always forget to delimit the #^$^(#% things and wind up with an error.

Or in other words, I DO NOT use folders like Windoze "program files" or 'documents and settings'. 😄

Lynn

---- Clay Helberg <chelberg@terraxml.com> wrote:
> Hi Justin-
>
>
>
> Thanks for the tip. I would say that's probably good advice in general,
> not just for XSL-FO: try to stick to alphanumeric characters, and maybe
> underscores for path names as much as possible, and you will avoid a lot
> of headaches. I would even avoid spaces as much as possible, as they
> have been known to confound a variety of software systems (including
> certain components of Arbortext if you neglect to quote things
> properly).
>
>
>
> --Clay
>
>
>

Quite agree.

Too bad O'Neil and their EMS programs do. Next Gen is actually worse than the old EMS-2!

John T. Jarrett CDT
Senior Tech Writer, Integrated Logistics Support,Land & Armaments/Global Tactical Systems

T832.673.2147 | M 832.363.7234 | F 832.673.2376| x1147 | -
BAE Systems, 5000 I-10 West, Sealy, Texas USA 77474
www.baesystems.com

Now that's interesting. This post by Lynn arrived in my Inbox before the one from Clay to which it was a response.

Windoze indeed...

Steve Thompson
+1(316)977-0515

In Reply to Steve Thompson:

You'd think I'd have known that from my Web experience but after coming back to the Windoze platform for work, I started the bad habits of making file names and paths with the most descriptive namespaces as possible for interoperability with coworkers who may not know what I was thinking when I created the file or folder. I may have to go back to underscores/ dashes because of program compatability.

Lynn, when you say you forget to delimit the spaces, what do you mean exactly? Is this on a higher level than just Arbortext Editor?

Thanks,

Justin

Now that's interesting. This post by Lynn arrived in my Inbox before the one from Clay to which it was a response.

Windoze indeed...

Steve Thompson
+1(316)977-0515

In case Lynn doesn't reply right away...I believe that delimiting spaces means to enclose the words separated by spaces within quotation marks. Such as "C:\Program files\Arbortext" or C:\"Program files"\Arbortext. This would be on a Windoze command line (command prompt) or the Arbortext Editor command line.

By delimit, I mean wrap the path/file name with quotes. I've had cases where (especially when I was playing with some ACL code) where not adding the quotes caused a failure.

This is really a Windoze issue, but just thought I'd pass it on here lest others do like me and forget. Smiley Very Happy

Lynn

---- Justin Dearing <-> wrote:
>
>
> In Reply to Steve Thompson: You'd think I'd have known that from my Web experience but after coming back to the Windoze platform for work, I started the bad habits of making file names and paths with the most descriptive namespaces as possible for interoperability with coworkers who may not know what I was thinking when I created the file or folder. I may have to go back to underscores/ dashes because of program compatability.
> Lynn, when you say you forget to delimit the spaces, what do you mean exactly? Is this on a higher level than just Arbortext Editor?
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> Now that's interesting. This post by Lynn arrived in my Inbox before the one from Clay to which it was a response.
>
> Windoze indeed...
>
> Steve Thompson
> +1(316)977-0515
>

Ed,

You're on the right track, but I've always had to wrap the entire path (e.g., C:\program files\epic to "C:\program files\epic").

Lynn
---- "Benton wrote:
> In case Lynn doesn't reply right away...I believe that delimiting spaces means to enclose the words separated by spaces within quotation marks. Such as "C:\Program files\Arbortext" or C:\"Program files"\Arbortext. This would be on a Windoze command line (command prompt) or the Arbortext Editor command line.
>
Top Tags