cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

File Entity Errors

BenjaminCoast
10-Marble

File Entity Errors

Hi there, 

It's been reported that some of our users are having issues while adding, editing, or even viewing the File Entities menu.

Arbortext Editor > Entities > File... gives the following errors: 

BenjaminCoast_0-1721151308231.png

BenjaminCoast_1-1721151341582.png

From the File Entities menu clicking on an existing entitiy gives a long list of errors: 

BenjaminCoast_3-1721151622697.png

BenjaminCoast_4-1721151622700.png

BenjaminCoast_5-1721151622702.png

BenjaminCoast_6-1721151622703.png

BenjaminCoast_7-1721151622705.png

BenjaminCoast_8-1721151622706.png

BenjaminCoast_9-1721151622707.png

BenjaminCoast_10-1721151622709.png

BenjaminCoast_11-1721151622710.png

BenjaminCoast_12-1721151622711.png

BenjaminCoast_13-1721151622712.png

BenjaminCoast_14-1721151622713.png

BenjaminCoast_15-1721151622714.png

BenjaminCoast_16-1721151622716.png

We're unsure as to where to start looking on what's causing the issue and any help would be appreciated.

Arbortext Version 8.1.1.0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Alexia
14-Alexandrite
(To:BenjaminCoast)

Hello @BenjaminCoast 

I believe that you may have some custom menu items.

Take a look at your code and see if you have been using menu_exists().

There are some important coding techniques when creating custom menu items.

Whenever you want to add or remove menu items, it is wise to use the menu_exists() function.

If you don’t use it to see if a menu item has already been created, you could add it multiple times.

To prevent this, you want to ensure it does not already exist.

When you want to remove a menu item, you want to ensure that it does exist.

The menu_delete should be inside a condition that first tests for the existence of said menu item.

Using this technique eliminates all the error messages about trying to delete menu items that don’t exist.

I would recommend searching your custom directories for an .acl file that is calling the custom menu. A simple test would be to rename the custom menu as .xxx and see if you can work with the out of the box menu items.

If this then resolves the errors, you know you need to do some work with your customised menu's.

I hope this is of help.

Could I please ask also, if any posts help you resolve the issue - please mark it as 'Accept as Solution'

Alexia

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @BenjaminCoast,

Thank you for your question. 

Your post appears well documented but has not yet received any response. I am replying to raise awareness. Hopefully, another community member will be able to help.

Regards,

Vivek N
Community Moderation Team.

Do you use any customizations? In other words, do you have your own code in a custom folder pointed to by the APTCUSTOM environment variable? If so, then there is probably an issue with either how the customizations are configured, or some of the code in the customization directory. Since many of the errors are related to menu items, check the lib/editmenu.cf and dialogs/editwindow.xml to see if there are any problems there. As a quick check, you could remove the APTCUSTOM environment variable and see if the OOTB configuration works correctly. If so, then the problem is very likely somewhere in your customizations.

If you are not using customizations, it seems likely that your installation got corrupted somehow. In this case, the first thing to try would be uninstall/reinstall Arbortext Editor and see if that resolves the issue.

Alexia
14-Alexandrite
(To:BenjaminCoast)

Hello @BenjaminCoast 

I believe that you may have some custom menu items.

Take a look at your code and see if you have been using menu_exists().

There are some important coding techniques when creating custom menu items.

Whenever you want to add or remove menu items, it is wise to use the menu_exists() function.

If you don’t use it to see if a menu item has already been created, you could add it multiple times.

To prevent this, you want to ensure it does not already exist.

When you want to remove a menu item, you want to ensure that it does exist.

The menu_delete should be inside a condition that first tests for the existence of said menu item.

Using this technique eliminates all the error messages about trying to delete menu items that don’t exist.

I would recommend searching your custom directories for an .acl file that is calling the custom menu. A simple test would be to rename the custom menu as .xxx and see if you can work with the out of the box menu items.

If this then resolves the errors, you know you need to do some work with your customised menu's.

I hope this is of help.

Could I please ask also, if any posts help you resolve the issue - please mark it as 'Accept as Solution'

Alexia

Hi @BenjaminCoast,

I wanted to see if you got the help you needed.

If so, please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution. It will help other members who may have the same question.
Please note that industry experts also review the replies and may eventually accept one of them as solution on your behalf.
Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please pursue the conversation.

Thanks,

Catalina
PTC Community Moderator
Top Tags