cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Graphic scaling by FOSI?

UlrikeSchaper
1-Newbie

Graphic scaling by FOSI?

Hi everybody,

I'm using Arbortext 5.2 and Windows NT.

I have some formula graphics linked into our texts, but they're displayed too small. Is there a way to magnify these graphics?

I know, that I possibly could add some scaling attributes to my doctype and to configure them in the associated .dcf file. But since it is "only" an Arbortext-display-problem, I was thinking of a less DTD-contaminating solution, maybe via FOSI?

Every idea would be appreciated,

best regards,

Ulrike Schaper.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In FOSI edit use the attribute scaletofit="1" and reprowidth="desiredsize" or reproheight="desiredsize", where desiredsize is the size you wish (i.e. 120mm or so).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi Ulrike,

Use putgraph. You can find all attributes in the Arbortext Editor Help.

Regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

thank you - but I can't see, how putgraph could possibly solve my problem.

As I understand putgraph, it's used to generate graphics, as a kind of styling (e. g. big red exclamation marks).

In my documents the graphics are already there, and each document uses different graphics. But they are displayed too small, and I'm looking for a way to magnify them.

I was hoping that it would be as easy as using font/@size, and that I was just too blind too see it. But maybe there isnt't a solution...?

Best regards,

Ulrike.

Unfortunately, graphic handling is generally not controlled in FOSI, but by your doctype's configuration (usually in a DCF file), so it's not generally possible for the FOSI to override what's specified in the source document.

You might want to look at the Composition Pipeline features and consider putting a transform of some kind, such as XSLT, in front of your FOSI. That way, you could put in a rule to identify cases where you want some scaling applied and add the appropriate attribute to the graphic tag.

It will take a little bit of work to set this up, but once it's in place, you'll have all sorts of flexibility to do various types of document pre-processing before your FOSI is applied, allowing you the chance to do things very easily in XSLT that FOSI makes rather hard, or impossible.

-Brandon 🙂

In FOSI edit use the attribute scaletofit="1" and reprowidth="desiredsize" or reproheight="desiredsize", where desiredsize is the size you wish (i.e. 120mm or so).

For the record, if graphic entities are used in the document, the graphic entity name can be fillvalled into a putgraph that has the desired scaling. For example:

<e-i-c gi="graphic">

<charlist inherit="1"></charlist>

<att>

<specval attname="print-only" attloc="system-var" attval="yes">

<charsubset charsubsetref="SUPPRESS"></charsubset>

</att>

<att>

<specval attname="print-only" attloc="system-var" attval="yes">

<fillval attname="entityref" fillcat="putgraph" fillchar="graphname">

<charsubset>

<putgraph depth="20pi" scalefit="1">

<subchars>...</subchars>

</putgraph>

</charsubset>

</att>

</e-i-c>

The graphic entity and notation do NOT have to be declared in the FOSI.

Suzanne,

Thank you for clarifying Peter's earlier comment about using putgraph.

Ulrike,

Can you mark this query as answered?

Top Tags