cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Help, unexpected results when replacing link for graphic (fileref value)

JayR
1-Newbie

Help, unexpected results when replacing link for graphic (fileref value)

I have to replace hundreds of graphic links in a document and am exploring the best method for performing this task.

Experimenting, I found an unusual result in my first case.

Example:

Old graphic link

<graphic align="center" fileref="mydirectory\myfilename.jpg" scale=""/>

New graphic link

<graphic align="center" fileref="mydirectory\myNEWfilename.jpg" scale=""/>

After making the above change, my graphic being displayed is very large (travels off of page). I understand I can scale this image using the scale value, however, I prefer to not have to individually scale each image.

My first instinct as to this difference of size is the resolution of the images. This is the unusual part ... the original image is 3300x2463 and the replacement image is 768x733. The original image is significantly larger in size, but displays correctly whereas the smaller replacement image travels off of the page.

Is there an attribute (like autofit or something) that I am missing?

How does the original image display correctly?

Not sure if dpi makes a difference, but original image = 600dpi, replacement image = 72dpi.

I appreciate any help and thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SirkoRudolph
5-Regular Member
(To:JayR)

Hi Jerome,

I think this is due to the different image properties. The dpi basically is used to calculate the print size of a given image.

The new 768x733 pixel image with 72dpi has a print size of about 271x259 mm (10.7x10.2in) whereas the old 3300x2463 pixel image with 600dpi has a print size of about 140x104 mm (5.5x4.1in). Therefore your new image runs off the page.

So I guess your best bet is to use some image conversion tool to correct the print size of the images to an appropriate size by modifying the dpi settings.

Hope that helps,

Sirko

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SirkoRudolph
5-Regular Member
(To:JayR)

Hi Jerome,

I think this is due to the different image properties. The dpi basically is used to calculate the print size of a given image.

The new 768x733 pixel image with 72dpi has a print size of about 271x259 mm (10.7x10.2in) whereas the old 3300x2463 pixel image with 600dpi has a print size of about 140x104 mm (5.5x4.1in). Therefore your new image runs off the page.

So I guess your best bet is to use some image conversion tool to correct the print size of the images to an appropriate size by modifying the dpi settings.

Hope that helps,

Sirko

Thank you, Sirko! It was dpi.

Top Tags