cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use an ACL code inside the APP?

Highlighted

How can I use an ACL code inside the APP?

Hi all,

I need to use a acl code inside the APP code, and save the informations that the ACL retrieves in a variable.

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: How can I use an ACL code inside the APP?

Hi Robson,

ACL code is an Arbortext Editor language and won't execute inside of APP code. If you need to pass variable information between the 2 applications, I would use Javascript or Perl which are 2 languages that both applications support.

Out of curiosity, what information are you trying to pass from APP and to where?

-Jeff

Highlighted

Hi Jeff,

Actually, I could do it with this:

formatting.evaluateXPath("_acl:eval(here the acl code)")

But would be better if was possible to do this without xpath.

Answaring your question, I want to save a value in a variable and use in another element, like a global variable. And for this, I've found two ways:

application.variables and the acl ENV['name']

That's a neat trick, but we have noticed with newer APP (Arbortext) releases that formatting.evaluateXPath() will now only work in a formatting context. That is to say, if try and run a script with that method it won't work. If you run that method from within a formatting tag then it will still work.

Either way, while I like your trick I'm not sure it is the best way to pass information between Arbortext/APP. It feels like that would be something liable to change or break between APP/Arbortext releases. It would be interesting to learn what you are trying to achieve in order to advise if there is a better way.

Highlighted

Gareth,

Using the xPath it works, I can save a value with the command ENV['test'] = "value" and retrieve this value calling the ENV with the same name. I've tested this in Gentext.

Highlighted

In APP JS variables can be initialised 'global' and reused later with things like:
var global = {};
or
template.globalVar1 = 'foo';

But for XPath tests when NOT formatting you can use something like this in JS:

var stream = template.content.getStream('mainText');

//'mainText' would be the standard editorDOM from styler i'd guess

var tree = stream.xmlDocument;

var result = tree.evaluateXpath(stuff...);

But presumably your coding this from Styler and source edits not APP GUI?

Regards

Chris

Announcements