cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Why? Publishing engine always use the default style sheet to publish

nyasunobu
1-Newbie

Why? Publishing engine always use the default style sheet to publish

Hi Experts

I have just started to work with Arbortext software and am having some trouble. 

In attempt to set up the dynamic publishing system, I have Completed Installing Arbortext Editor, PE, and ACM. 

Also,have sucessfuly connected Arbortext Editor to PE.

Now, I am using Publishing engine with arbortext editor to publish document.

My problem is I am not able to use custom stylesheet while publishing.

How to use custom .style stylesheet for publishing?

Publishing engine always use the default style sheet to publish.

As a work around I am replacing default stylesheet with custom.

I read the discussion bellow with the same issue, but I couldn't understand the solutions discussed.

Using custom stylesheet while publishing using publishing engine

Please help me to understand.

Thanks in Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Your custom stylesheets should be stored as "customisations". Customisations are a folder with a set structure (see the "custom" folder in Arbortext program folder for a skeleton). The customisation folder includes DTD/schema, DCF, stylesheets, etc.

The idea is you source the custom folder into both Arbortext Editor *and* Publishing Engine. The folder should match on both systems. When it comes to publish time, you will be able to select from the list of custom stylesheets in PE if you have installed the customisation folder on the PE machine.

That is a basic primer, but it can get more complicated depending on what you're trying to achieve.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

We have a similar arrangement and we have a number of style sheets for each document. We choose to publish out of Arbortext Editor rather than in batch mode through ACM simply because often one document may be published a number of ways.

We set up a custom directory structure on a file share that all users and PE can get to. We then use the APTCUSTOM environmental variable on all systems to point to this file share so everyone uses the same STDs and styles.

When we publish we read the document into Arbortext content manager and use publish and select the desired style sheet. To do this you need to set a value in your .dcf file (declaration) to allow this function:

<Options allowApplicationToolbar="no" allowComposeStylesheetList="yes"

allowFosiMod="yes" allowTouchup="yes" protected="no"></Options>

The underlined value, allowComposeStylesheetList=yes will allow you to select a list of the stylesheets in the folder and select the one you want rather than the default.

Although it does require the user to know the stylesheets it does permit us flexibility where required.

Our approach anyway.

Dear Raymond

In your advice you talked about editing .dcf file, and for clarification I would like to know which .dcf file you are referring to?

Thnaks for the great advice

lfraley
6-Contributor
(To:nyasunobu)

Yes, setting up your CUSTOM directory will help. Also, when you get the Print window, you can select the stylesheet you want from the drop down menu.

Dear Liz

One of my problem is my custom style sheets dose not apear on the drop down menu.

How should I go about fixing this problem?

Thanks for the great advice

lfraley
6-Contributor

There is only 1 DCF file per doctype. If you set up your custom directory, Arbortext will know where everything is (the dropdown for stylesheets and DCF file).

Dear Liz

Do i need to change each dcf flie per doctype?

lfraley
6-Contributor

I always say I'll answer any number of 5-minute questions, as long as they're not all in sequence. And this conversation is moving from general advice to work, so I'm going to point you to the help center. Search for "Document Type Configuration Files".

I'm also going to recommend that you get a license for the Arbortext eLearning Library (from your PTC rep) and sign up for the TC Dojo Arbortext Mastermind group.

Dear Liz

Thanks for the help

I will check out eLearning TC Dojo.

Thanks again for the advice

Your custom stylesheets should be stored as "customisations". Customisations are a folder with a set structure (see the "custom" folder in Arbortext program folder for a skeleton). The customisation folder includes DTD/schema, DCF, stylesheets, etc.

The idea is you source the custom folder into both Arbortext Editor *and* Publishing Engine. The folder should match on both systems. When it comes to publish time, you will be able to select from the list of custom stylesheets in PE if you have installed the customisation folder on the PE machine.

That is a basic primer, but it can get more complicated depending on what you're trying to achieve.

rdiaz
5-Regular Member

Hi Ninomiya,

Were you able to resolve this with Liz, Gareth, and Raymond's help?

Let us know if you were, or if you are having any further issues the Community can help with. Thanks!

Top Tags