cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

adding attributes to an procgroup element

bfriesen
16-Pearl

adding attributes to an procgroup element

I am tring to profile a procgroup. My current setup does not let me do this. I have contacted PTC support and they said that I need to add the ability to profile to a procgroup. When I click on the the profiles window and add a profile it says could not apply profile since the affected element does not support a "product" attribute. How do I correct this? Where do I need to look? Is it in stlyer or is that a setting that I need to modify in one of the .pcf files.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Hi Bryon--

You would need to add the appropriate configuration in your DTD (or schema). Make sure the profiling attributes are defined for the target element, e.g. make sure there is a "product" attribute assigned to the procgroup element (along with other profiling attributes).

If that doesn't solve it for you, you might need to make changes to your DCF and/or PCF as well. But assuming you want to apply the same profiling attributes (with the same list of values) and the same profile groups on the new elements as those you've defined for other contexts, I think you should be in good shape once your DTD is fixed up.

--Clay

Thanks for the guidance Clay, I am probably in over my head on this one by a long shot. I have found two files servicemanul.dtd and smamap.dtd. Do I need to modify both or just one?

Hi Bryon--

The section you found in the manual probably won't help much. It assumes that the attribute you want to use for profiling is already defined in your doctype. But the problem you describe is that the attribute simply isn't available on that element for your doctype.

If this is the Service Manual Application, then I'm afraid it's going to get complicated to try to modify the doctype. SMA is a specialization of DITA, which means you would have modify the specialization to make the changes. It can certainly be done, but DITA adds a pretty thick layer of abstraction on the doctype infrastructure, so you have to have a pretty good handle on how DITA works to get it right.

--Clay

Thanks for the answer Clay. I was right way above me.

Thanks

Bryon

Greetings,

According to the screenshot you sent, your cursor is within an element called "textwrapper" (look at the first line of text in the Apply Profiles dialog). If you move your cursor to the <procbody> tag and then apply the profile, the profile should be able to be applied as DITA supports the @product attribute on the <procbody> tag.

Thanks.

- Dave H.

Dave Helfinstine
-

Hello again,

I don't know why I read 'procbody' as 'procgroup' Smiley Happy. It depends on what element procbody is derived from. Most all DITA elements have the profiling attributes defined in them (in the dtd or schema). I still believe your issue is because you are within the element <textwrapper> you may need to move your cursor to get to the procgroup tag to be able to profile that.

Thanks.

- Dave H.

Dave Helfinstine
-

Bryon

In Reply to David Helfinstine:

Hello again,

I don't know why I read 'procbody' as 'procgroup' Smiley Happy. It depends on what element procbody is derived from. Most all DITA elements have the profiling attributes defined in them (in the dtd or schema). I still believe your issue is because you are within the element <textwrapper> you may need to move your cursor to get to the procgroup tag to be able to profile that.

Thanks.

- Dave H.

Dave Helfinstine
-

Hi Bryon--

No, it's nothing to do with the stylesheet. Anyway, profiling isn't enabled for <procbody> OOTB either, at least in the 6.0 implementation of SMA.

Profiling is enabled for the top level <procedure> element. Maybe instead of applying the profile to procgroup, you could define different procedures for the different profiles? You could use conrefs to minimize duplication of content.

--Clay

With some guidance from PTC Tech Support. I located the smaprocedure.mod file. I located the element declarations from there I found the ATTLIST procgroup, I added%select-atts; to the list. I am now able to profile procgroups. Thanks for all the help.

Is there anything I need to watch out for when testing this?

Bryon

Top Tags