cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Loosing part color in assembly when using save as

KaiHawaii
6-Contributor

Loosing part color in assembly when using save as

Hello together,

since we change from Wildfire 4 to Creo 4 i have a problem with color in assemblys when i using "save as" to create a new assembly.
The assemblys are generic and family based. A lot of the integrated parts are also generic and family based.

Example:
asm_genreric (with instances e.g. "asm_1" and "asm_2")
--part_red (generic with instances "part_red_1" and "part_red_2")
--part_blue (non generic)

All parts are colored (red / blue) before they are inserted in the assembly. The color should be always the same.
No color assignment is made in the assembly!

When I open a instance assembly e.g. "asm_1" with the part instance "part_red_1" and using "save as" and open
the new created assembly the "part_red_1" is no longer red and have the standard Creo color.
The non-generic part "part_blue" is blue.

I try this with Creo 4 and Creo 6 (new standard installation) and the system colors. With standard material assignment and without.

In both cases I have the problem, that the instance parts loosing their color.

Have anyone the same problem or maby a solution? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KaiHawaii
6-Contributor
(To:MartinHanak)

Hi Martin,

couldn´t rest until i have a acceptable solution. So I serach again and tested the config.pro option ALLOW_SAVE_AS_INSTANCE,

because I want to see what happen with new created instances in the family table. 🤔

If you switch it to YES , use "save as" and confirm "New Model" (not "as a family table instance") the colors won´t change.  Maybe Creo run the right way in this mode when creating new parts from instances.

Greetings
Kai H.

allow_save_as_instance.jpg

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Hi,

please prepare data set for testing purposes, put into zip file and upload zip file.

Martin Hanák
KaiHawaii
6-Contributor

Hello Martin,

here is a sample assembly with family table. Inside is a generic part and two "normal" parts.

If you open the instance "_ASM_COLOR_TEST_1" and use "save as" the part "_BLUE_PART_1" lose the blue color.

Thanks that you take a look at that!

Kai H.

To exclude configuration errors, I using Creo 4 M100, with standard configuration, standard colors and no material assinment.

@KaiHawaii wrote:

Hello Martin,

here is a sample assembly with family table. Inside is a generic part and two "normal" parts.

If you open the instance "_ASM_COLOR_TEST_1" and use "save as" the part "_BLUE_PART_1" lose the blue color.

Thanks that you take a look at that!

Kai H.

To exclude configuration errors, I using Creo 4 M100, with standard configuration, standard colors and no material assinment.

Hi,

I cannot reproduce your problem in Creo 4.0 M120. See attached picture and xx.asm.

xx.png

Martin Hanák
KaiHawaii
6-Contributor

Hi Martin,

sorry 😳  I forgot to tell you that you must give all parts a new name when using "save as".

You have the original instance part in the assambly.

Greetings
Kai

KaiHawaii
6-Contributor
(To:KaiHawaii)

Hi,

here are two screen captured videos.

@KaiHawaii wrote:

Hi Martin,

sorry 😳  I forgot to tell you that you must give all parts a new name when using "save as".

You have the original instance part in the assambly.

Greetings
Kai

Hi,

1.]

I am able to reproduce your problem in Creo 4.0 M120 and also in Creo 5.0, 6.0, 7.0.

From my point of view it is a bug, so you can report it to PTC Support. But I'm afraid that they will tell you that Creo is working properly...

2.]

After testing I found a trick that solves your problem.

Step 1: Save assembly instance as temporary standalone assembly.

Step 2: Make a copy of temporary standalone assembly.

Step 3: Delete temporary standalone assembly.

See uploaded video.

Martin Hanák
KaiHawaii
6-Contributor

Hello Martin,

thank you! 👍 I´m glad, that you can reproduce the problem and find a way to ship around this.

But I think, that my "normal" cad users have a problem with this "difficult" way.They would tell me, that recoloring is the "faster and easier" way for them. 🙄

Sometimes, after using "save as" 3 ore more times, Creo give the parts the right color.
Mostly not. Try this "hundred" times. It´s like roll the dice.

I can´t track the way, how Creo work, when it create a new part from an instance when using "save as"

or which template or start part Creo use. And why somtimes the parts get the right color and mostly not.

So I must figure out how to report this bug to PTC and hope. 😊

Kai H.

KaiHawaii
6-Contributor
(To:KaiHawaii)

Use the case logger the first time and found a report.

Mean this, that they are working on this problem since several years?

Looks like this proplem will never solved anytime, or?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Document - CS200189

Expand |  Email |  Copy URL

Title

"When Saving an Instance out of a family table through save as does not produced a colored model on the saved as file in Creo Parametric 2.0"

Description

• When Saving an Instance out of a family table through save as does not produced a colored model on the saved as file

Resolution

• Reported to R&D as SPR 2258452

@KaiHawaii wrote:

Use the case logger the first time and found a report.

Mean this, that they are working on this problem since several years?

Looks like this proplem will never solved anytime, or?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Document - CS200189

Expand |  Email |  Copy URL

Title

"When Saving an Instance out of a family table through save as does not produced a colored model on the saved as file in Creo Parametric 2.0"

Description

• When Saving an Instance out of a family table through save as does not produced a colored model on the saved as file

Resolution

• Reported to R&D as SPR 2258452

Hi,

yes, problem was reported on 04-Mar-2015 in Creo 2.0.

PTC R&D opened SPR 2890367 / 2258452 with Medium severity.

AFAIK Medium severitylow priority and the problem will probably never be fixed.

Martin Hanák
KaiHawaii
6-Contributor

Hi Martin,

couldn´t rest until i have a acceptable solution. So I serach again and tested the config.pro option ALLOW_SAVE_AS_INSTANCE,

because I want to see what happen with new created instances in the family table. 🤔

If you switch it to YES , use "save as" and confirm "New Model" (not "as a family table instance") the colors won´t change.  Maybe Creo run the right way in this mode when creating new parts from instances.

Greetings
Kai H.

allow_save_as_instance.jpg

Hi,

who would have thought that allow_save_as_instance YES would have an impact on saving instance as standalone model.

Option description (no mention of an standalone model...):

allow_save_as_instance
no*, yes
Allows the option to save a copy of the active model as a family table instance.

Martin Hanák
KaiHawaii
6-Contributor

Hi,

never thought this is a solution. But when you becom desperate 😉, you catch every straw in hope to solve a problem. In the end "trail and error" is the last method of work.
It costs a lot of time and "no one" must know how much houres I spent for this problem.🤐

Kai H.

Top Tags