cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Create wavy washer in Pro E 4.0

ptc-2655104
1-Newbie

Create wavy washer in Pro E 4.0

Looking to try to create a wavy washer and a washer with radial teeth cut into it? How would I go about doing this?

Thanks. Jon.

31 REPLIES 31

This was more challenging that I thought.

I do not have WF4 but I think you will get the idea once I upload the video and write a quick tutorial document to go with it.

As always, the patterning of the radial features was less that simple. Even when I thought I had it, they were not evenly distributed along the surface. That is when I added a properly "fit" surface, the pattern worked fine (and clicked through to selecting the quilt rather than the surface!).

Hi Jonathan,

You can create curve (circle) and then you can use Curve Pattern.

Here you can find Curve Pattern for everybody or you can use simple Axis Pattern

Regards,

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Hi Jonathan,

Here is another example: How you can Create your model wavy_washer.prt

wavy_washer.JPG

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Love the washer, Vladimir!

You are welcome Antonius

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Pro E is great software but it took me about 2 minutes to do it in SolidWorks with the 3D sketch mode after I watched a tutorial. I've learned more working with solidworks for the last few days than in a year with ProE. Unfortunately I will prob be making SW my main program and proE as backup. Still have yet to try Creo 2.0 but if it doesn't have 3D sketch mode I don't see the point. I understand the wavy washer is very simple process in Creo 2.0.

the toothed washer above is not exactly what I meant. Think of a circular washe faceplast with pointed geared teeth cut into the face tappering toward the center.

Like a bellville washer?

http://www.allproducts.com/manufacture100/frankxu/product2.jpg

That could work yes, but I mean teeth that extend radially from the center, those are at an angle.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Hmmm, those are interesting Antonius, they look like Belleville lock washers, instead of the washer "spring" you typically see.

They are, Frank. They work very well and protects the surface better than other solutions; less particles. Excellent for electrical applications with the right finish.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

'Morning Antonius. Do you have a vendor name for those? I have an electrical guy or 2 here that moght be interested in them.

Mille Grazie!

See your message box, Frank.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Thanks!

Is this what you wanted? This is an OLD part I did, back before 2000, on probably V17 or so.

That would be the wavy washer, I'd typically be looking for more waves in it though. Great file, even with the tree I can't figure it out. Maybe you could explain it a bit more.

Jonathan - I think that you are looking for:

"Looking to try to create a wavy washer and a washer with radial teeth cut into it?..."

If you need to create only "waves" - it is easy... yuo can create main circled curve and then Variable Section Sweep feature with relations (trajpar)

Here is some exaple - power of Sweep feature:

http://communities.ptc.com/blogs/vpalffy/2012/10/03/wires-cables-and-coils-with-creo-parametric-20

http://communities.ptc.com/blogs/vpalffy/2011/11/27/sweep-and-trajpar

Note: Frank, your old model is fine too

Regards,

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

You have to dig into Franks file to find SD6 being controlled by a TRAJPAR similar to what Vladimir's link points to.

I wish I knew more about using TRAJPAR too

I'm still not too sure what you are after. Obviously you can make any number of waves.

wave_washer_w-radial_feature_II.JPG

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I had a better one I did a couple years ago, where it was more easily modifyable using parameters (ID, OD, number of waves, thickness, free height, etc.) but I think I left it at my old company. Ah well.....

You can use a Wrap feature, but I think this is cleaner since there will be no pi issues......

Yep, a lot of the magic happens at the VSS sketch level (relations).

I'm sure you can make a sinewave cylinder datum curve too but I haven't found it yet.

It was the pattern that gave me more grief.

A little work and I finally worked the equation for a cylindrical sine wave:

/* Cylindrical
/* r=radius
/* z=half the height
/* (360*3) where 3 is the number of full waves
r=1

theta= t*360

z=.1*sin(t*(360*3))

cylindrical_sine_wave.JPG

Interesting. The wrapped datum curve and the cylindrical equation datum curve act differently in the sweep. And this is important in relation to making the sweet as a solid. I'm sure Frank has run into this in the past.

There are a couple of solutions that are "accurate" but just be aware that, in order to manage consistent thickness -and- a "flat" profile, the wrap version is working better.

Maybe a Cartesian version of the cylindrical sine wave would solve this issue.

Edit: Nope! Even with Cartesian developed datum curve, the orientation is not "flat" when creating the sweep section.

solution 1: make both curves and use the VSS option so the second curve becomes a guide curve.

solution 2: sweep as surface and later thicken; use the Normal to Projection option in the sweep and reference the "Z" axis (center axis of the cylinder).

Both of these methods will insure the solid wave is consistent in thickness throughout.

This makes the wrap option a lot more palatable

This is the Cartesian version of the equation:

x = 1 * cos ( t * 360 )

y = 1 * sin ( t * 360 )

z = .1 * cos ( t * ( 360 * 3 ) )

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Yep, I remember some issues like that. Funny how something that looks the same can create different geometry downstream.

Nice! Thanks for the equation!

Antonius - good job

Thanks all of your post,

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

How about this multi-level one?

Copy+of+SPIRA_WAVE_SPRING3.JPG

Curse you and your crazy geometry Frank! Every time you post something, my personal time evaporates. I just figured out how to make single trajectories with rotational reversals... and then you show this!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:knorman)

I did that one almost 13 years ago to the day (3/14/2000). Man, am I ancient or what????

But hey, I'm glad I'm able to push people to try new things!

That formula I did find...

/* Helical Wave

/* Cylindrical coordinates

r = 5

theta = t * 3600

z = (sin (3.5 * theta-90)) +24 * t

by Kevin Bradberry here: http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-2499

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags