cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Mechanica and plastics

GEORGEDONAGHER
1-Newbie

Mechanica and plastics

can you use wild fire four with mechanica to test plastic oil tanks made from meduim density polyethylene for lateral loads, or can mechanica handle plastics.

2 REPLIES 2

Pro/Mechanica is described as linear finite element analysis package in literature. Large deflections with non-linear geometric effects, or non-linear material behaviour could not I expect be done.

Small deflections, with no non-linear geometric and no non-linear material behaviour could be done. Matter of experienced engineering judgement of problem if range of geometric or material behaviour considered as linear.

API, ASTM, and NSF61 may have codes, commentaries, and specifications that deal with which analysis type to use. ASTM does cover Rotationally Moulded Polyethelene Tanks.

If linear behaviour can be assumed by code provisions, yes, Pro/Mechanica could be used.

Nonlinear behaviour suggest Strand 7 from Australia as software of choice instead of mucking about as described below. Correct tool for the job is always best. You will spend more money in professional hours mucking about than the alternate reasonably priced software costs. Could wait till Pro/Mechanica includes non-linearities.

A colleague is interested in attempting a material nonlinear analysis in Pro/Mechanica. Since there isn't currently the ability to perform this analysis in Pro/Mechanica, his idea was to force the analysis by editing a Prestress Static analysis. Currently, Pro/Mechanica allows a user to run a static analysis and use the results as a starting point for a second static analysis (i.e. prestiffened structure has a new set of loads applied in the "Prestress Static" analysis). My colleague's idea is to somehow edit the results of the Prestress Static analysis and make Pro/Mechanica think it is actually the results of a static analysis thus allowing for multiple iterations of a prestress static analysis.

Has anyone been able to force a material nonlinear analysis in Pro/Mechanica with restarting an edited Prestress Static analysis? Are there any other ideas for accomplishing a material non-linear analysis in Pro/Mechanica?

Yes Pro/M can simulate Plastic Deformation by Hyperelastic analysis. As long as you create your hyper elastic material properties, it can do the job. One big catch. the solusion might not convert or it will a long time to convert. I had one analysis that took 3 weeks for a 2X4X 6 piece of plastic.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags