cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Proper display of a screw

SebastianH.
1-Newbie

Proper display of a screw

Hi there! I am a student in a technical school and we are using the pro E 4.0 student edition. (Datecode M092) At the bottom I've put a picture of my problem. As you can see, the core thread is displayed, but the external one on the countersunk bolt isn't visible. (yes, I made one.^^) This is a problem, which sometimes occurs in our class. Till now I've never had any problems with these things. Can you give me some hints, how to fix the problem?
11 REPLIES 11

PTC provides a full explanation of the settings and methods for achieving proper display of threads in drawings here: http://www.ptc.com/cs/cs_27/howto/vew849/vew849.htm I should also note that what you see on the screen is not exactly what you will get on the hardcopy drawing when you print. The printing funciton does additional cleanup and line font changes. Depending on what you are printing to or exporting there are print settings that can also affect the thread views... for example... if you export a PDF file you must choose "Dashed Hidden Lines" in the Settings. A personal note about threads from many years of exerience, which runs a bit counter to the link I gave you above... I have always recommended that externally threaded objects be created with the Solid shank at the MINOR diameter, and the cosmetic thread at the Major dia. Internal threads would be "normal" with the drill dia into the solid, and the cosmetic thread at the Major dia. Why? This avoids the hidden line removal headaches where lines randomly disappear when solid parts interfere. PTC knows this... just download their Basic object library and look at their threaded fasteners... they were all created this way. See attached screw model I created (student version).

'Couldn't get to the link. I have a counter opinion. We have always drawn (hand-drafted and AutoCAD) and modeled external threads at the major dia with cosmetic threads at the minor dia and internal threads at minor dia with the cosmetic threads at the major dia. Yes there is an "interference". But this is typical drafting convention (for probably 100 years or more) for a good reason: This is the way the actual fastener geometry will behave. For example, a 1/4" screw will only fit thru a minimum of 1/4" hole straight hole. A dowel pin that will pass thru a 1/4" threaded hole will need to be .1894" or less. I would ABSOLUTELY NOT advise modeling fasteners and holes as mentioned above. It would be very misleading. Just deal with the erratic hidden line behavoir.

Attached is a copy of the web page from that link. A "drafting convention" is just an agreement on how to symbolicly represent real geometry. A "CAD modeling convention" is just an agreement on how to symbolicly represent real geometry. You really should look at the model I sent and see what it looks like, and what it looks like on an assembly drawing. I don't think it's misleading at all. If you want simulate reality then go ahead and model the actual threads. (And get a bigger computer).

"Don Rutledge" wrote:

Attached is a copy of the web page from that link. A "drafting convention" is just an agreement on how to symbolicly represent real geometry. A "CAD modeling convention" is just an agreement on how to symbolicly represent real geometry. You really should look at the model I sent and see what it looks like, and what it looks like on an assembly drawing. I don't think it's misleading at all. If you want simulate reality then go ahead and model the actual threads. (And get a bigger computer).

thank you for all your replies. Due to the fact, english isn'm my mother tongue, I've had quite a few problems to follow your discussion, but I think I got the main parts I also went to the links and a new problem emerged^^ Could it be, that it isn't possible to edit the commands in this "DIN.dtl", if you have the schools- edition? I again uploaded a screenshot: as you can see, I cannot access the field for changing or even writing a new command line. (As far as I am in the right menu... I got there by clicking on Tools-Options when being in the 2D-drawing mode. is that correct?) If it is: could it be possible to edit the config.pro directly? (I think the commands schould be in there, aren't they?)

Hi, it's again me. I now managed to edit the config.pro . But now another problem emerged. It seems, that Pro E does not accept the new orders: I've also uploaded my config.pro as a .txt file: http://uploaded.to/file/68brwu Do you have any ideas? I cannot imagine, I am the only one with such problems...

I think you may need to check on the options for syntax. I not totally sure but I believe the icon shown for hlt_for_threads and some of the others means it's not valid or not available.
Kevin
10-Marble
(To:Kevin)

Checking the documentation, hlr_for_threads is not a config.pro option, it is found in the drawing.dtl file. It is accessed through drawing mode from File>Properties>Drawing Options. The same is true for the thread_standard option. Allow_round_all was hidden option in WF3 has been removed in WF4.

oops... first of all: thanks to kevin for his advice^^. but it didn't work... I again uploaded a screenshot of the menu whith the screw. Today we also tried to open the file on another computer. but we had the same problem there. I think the problem is somewhere hidden in the data itself and not in the program. We also tried to delete the old .drw file and created a new one. just the same problem. If we opened any other construction, the threads were visible. Somehow I'm getting depressed...^^

woooooha now i got it. After i posted the message, I Chaned the "Tangentialkanten" (sorry, don't find any translation) in the menu tools - surrounding ; to "no display" now everything is like normal. Thank you all for your great help. I cannot tell you how happy I am.

To get the hatching to display correctly you will want to set the thread_standard to std_iso_imp_assy.
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags