cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

BOM File Location

jflatt
6-Contributor

BOM File Location

I can't imagine I am the first one to run in to this issue, but I have not been able to find any answers on here yet. My company uses Creo elements/pro 5.0. The problem I am having is in trying to produce a BOM for an assembly that can be imported into Excel or some other format. I have found the feature that can do this, but there doesn't seem to be any way of directing it. Here is what I currently do to produce a complete BOM for an assembly:

-->Info-->Bill of Materials

Select Top Level (default)

Select OK

Perform manual search of C:\ to find assembly.bom.1 in order to figure out what random location creo decided to write the file to this time.

My question is, is there any way to specify a directory for the assembly.bom.1 file? Or even better, can I have it simply write to the working directory where the assembly.asm.1 file is actually stored?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:jflatt)

I've just tested it and it does save into your working directory, regardless of where the assy came from. To be clear - if your assembly came from another folder other than your working directory, it'll still save to your working directory.

Search the knowledge base and you'll find documentation on customizing the template for the info > BOM feature.

Also, you can filter all the non-component info (placement folder, features, etc) out of the model tree, add columns for the parameters that you need, expand all and save it out as a text file with good results.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomU
23-Emerald IV

I think the more common approach is to create a report (or drawing) of the assembly with a repeat region configured to show the information you care about on your BOM, and then export this table directly for use in Excel. This provides much more control over what information is displayed, how it's formatted, etc.

Specific to your question above, the report should be written to your current working directory. If you haven't changed it, this should be the same as your start-in directory.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

I've just tested it and it does save into your working directory, regardless of where the assy came from. To be clear - if your assembly came from another folder other than your working directory, it'll still save to your working directory.

Search the knowledge base and you'll find documentation on customizing the template for the info > BOM feature.

Also, you can filter all the non-component info (placement folder, features, etc) out of the model tree, add columns for the parameters that you need, expand all and save it out as a text file with good results.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Greetings. I am just learning Creo 3.0 and am trying to generate a BOM from an assembly. However, at this point the generated BOM file is empty (0 kb). I would appreciate your help. I am selecting a drawing view before clicking on Bill of Materials button.

Tom T.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:jmorris)

Try opening the assembly and then going to Tools - Bill of Materials.

Top Tags