cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Calculating Thickness for a part using Pro/Toolkit

konjeti_krishna
1-Newbie

Calculating Thickness for a part using Pro/Toolkit

Hi All,

Is there a way (or methods) in Pro/Toolkit that we can use to calculate the thickness of a part. I know for Sheet Metal parts we should look for thickness parameter but not sure about other types. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thank you,
Krishna.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Krishna,
There is not a concept of "thickness" for standard parts. There is a
thickness for a shell feature but not all parts have shell features. I
would look into measuring the distance between two geometry items (top and

bottom surface of a part). Read the API Wizard under User's
Guide->Core:Geometry->Measurement (WF 4.0). Find the
ProGeomitemDistanceEval() function.

Patrick Williams
Sr. Systems Engineer II
Mechanical Engineering Solutions
Missile Systems
Raytheon Company

+1 520.545.6995 (business)
+1 520.545.6399 (fax)
-

TU/M12/8
6221 S Palo Verde Rd
Tucson, AZ 85706 USA
www.raytheon.com

This message contains information that may be confidential and privileged.
Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive mail for the
addressee), you should not use, copy or disclose to anyone this message or
any information contained in this message. If you have received this
message in error, please so advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete
this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

Krishna Konjeti <-> wrote on 04/06/2010 01:46:40

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for your quick response.

In one of my application where there is a user interaction (by selecting the top surface)I do use the below mentioned call to calculate the distance till it reaches the end surface. But in the new application I am trying to calculate the thickness for all parts in the model tree and do more calculations with that based on user needs and thats where I get in to trouble. I am thinking of acheiving this by calculating the distance in all three directions and considering the least value as thickness and I am not sure whether it is possible or not but its just an idea right now. Any suggestions is appreciated.

Thank you,
Krishna.

Krishna,
You'll want to look at the functions ProSolidOutlineGet() and its cousin ProSolidOutlineComopute() if you need more control over including / excluding non-geometric items such as datums. When you say "thickness" for a model, I assume what you really want is a "bounding box" so you can compare the relative space that each takes in the model tree. These functions will get you want you need.
Good Luck,
Michael Fussy

Michael,

Thank you for your reply. I will read the documentation for the methods you mentioned.

Thank you,
Krishna.

Top Tags