cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Can trail files be used for modeling

T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

Can trail files be used for modeling

Is it possible to use trail files for modeling. I was thinking to record some actions, some modeling, like select a specific publication in one part, and copy it to another active part. Then reuse that trail to my needed daily work.

Would it be possible? If yes how?

4 REPLIES 4
DavidBigelow
17-Peridot
(To:T_F)

Technically - yes.

Practically ... No.

Trail Files historically are fragile (Version to version compatibility) and difficult to isolate and debug Without crashing CREO in the process.

A good start part for a class of design would be better as a start point (same as except modification).   Or a smart part/assembly with some Pro/PROGRAM...

UDFs would be a better and much more reliable option for a lot of what I think you are trying to do.

Dave

Besides, retrieving lost files. What's the main difference between trail files and mapkeys?

Is it better use mapkeys?

DavidBigelow
17-Peridot

Based on what I think you are looking for....  mapkeys is where I would start.

Mapkeys are basically recorded menu picks, selections and data inputs that can be executed with an associated keyboard input(s).

Trail Files can be used in a similar context ...  but are really painful to record and prune down for the specific capability / steps you are trying to accomplish.... some will sing their praises... personally I don’t find them useful except in the absolute rarest of situations.  Even then they can be a heck of a journey to make work and their longevity is often limited to the current or current +1 release of CREO - as a result we advise our customers against using them unless there is no other more conventional way to get there.

hope that helps 

Dave 

dnordin
15-Moonstone

To add to the existing replies:

For the example you stated, "select a specific publication in one part, and copy it to another active part", UDF's are a good option for your standard features. Used in combination with mapkeys, you can easily automate feature creation which is what I assume you are trying to accomplish.

Another option for the copy/paste scenario, is to create what we can coupon parts. They are simply parts that include a collection of like features that are fully defined to our modeling, manufacturing, and drafting standards. The features in the coupon part can be named, grouped, and/or published to help make selecting the proper features easier. Labeling the features with curve text also helps with feature selection/visualization. You can even include general note annotations (ex. don't use size a, b, c with materials x, y, z), construction/cosmetic geometry (ex. clearance for assembly tools), etc. to help the designer in the proper feature selection. A simple example of a very useful coupon part is one for connector panel cutouts (like MIL-DTL-38999).

Regards,

Dan N.

Top Tags