cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Creo 2.0 silent install

ocorten-2
9-Granite

Creo 2.0 silent install

Hi All,

I am having troubles trying to get the silent installer for Creo Parametric 2.0 working.

Has anyone been able to install Creo Parametric 2.0 with the silent xml installation?

Note:
I'm installing to C:\PTC\Creo 2.0Source installation (Creo Parametric 2.0 M090) is on a fileserver share mapped to Y: driveI'm running: Y:\setup –xml "D:\TEMP\creobase.p.xml" -xml "D:\TEMP\pma.p.xml" -xml "D:\TEMP\sim.p.xml" The xml files are copied from a manual install on the same system.The script runs without error messages.Common Files, Parametric and Simulate folders are createdBut these folders contain not enough dataCommon Files\M090 only has 7 subfolders (jlink, mech, modchk, text, vbapi, weblink, x86e_win64)Parametric and Simulate only have 3 subfolders (bin, install and text)In total 12,5K files (1,5 Gb) are installed while manually 17K files (3,3Gb) are installed.

P.S. I know we can just zip a complete installation, unzip it to the new computer and run the registry files, but I want to test the silent xml installer.

Kind regards,

Olaf Corten

Olaf Corten | CAD/PLM Manager

Besi Netherlands B.V. | Ratio 6| 6921RW Duiven| The Netherlands
T: +31 26 3196215 | M: +31 644548554
- | www.besi.com

Confidentiality Notice:
This Email, and any attachments, may contain internal or confidential information and is intended solely for the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain sensitive or protectively marked material and should be handled accordingly. If this Email has been misdirected, please notify the author immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on any of the information contained in it or attached, and all copies must be deleted immediately.
6 REPLIES 6

Hello Olaf,

we have successfully installed Creo Parametric 2.0 M070 with the new silent install mechanism, which you describe, on about 40-50 PCs (windows 7 64-bit)so far.

We use the same XML-files as you:
pma.p.xml creobase.p.xml and sim.p.xml
from a successful non-silent installation and we even did some changes in the XML-files maually (changed destination path or changed some modules from "no" to "yes")

But on 2-3 occassions we observed the same incomplete installation as you did.
The incomplete installations were easy to detect, because the parametric.exe file was mising and so Creo could not be launched at all on these PCs.

Unfortunately the silent installation isso silent that you don't see, what it's actually doing.

So I also have not found a reason for this so far. The only solution is to re-run the setup. However I'm currently trying to convince PTC techsupport and R&D to provide some kind of logging, which would deliver a protocol of the setup process.

I fear that this is unavailable in the current release of Creo 2.

As we are about to install Creo 2 M070 on ca. 500 PCs starting next week, I can only hope that the failure rate is not too big.

Best regards
Johannes

I finally cracked the code.
(thanks everyone for your help and good tips)

But , I feel kind of stupid. I tried so many different things to no avail until I rewrote the line which was calling the setup with the -xml commandline options.

The problem was the difference between - (= Alt-0045 = Hex 2D = Hyphen) and – (= Alt-0150 = Hex 96 = En Dash).

The -xml commandline option in my script which called the creobase.p.xml was a dash instead of a hyphen.
The setup.exe only accepts hyphen's.

In Notepad++ these characters look exactly the same:

But how did the dash get in my script? I can't easily type it on my keyboard.

I remembered I originally started my script by copying a line from the Creo Installation Guide (Appendix F, Page 144).
This line has wrong characters:

Both will not work and should be replaced by the Hyphen character .... very deep sigh ....

Sorry about the confusion.

Kind regards,

Olaf Corten

- | www.besi.com

To: -
Date: 09-01-2014 15:58
Subject: [proesys] - Creo 2.0 silent install

Hi All,

I am having troubles trying to get the silent installer for Creo Parametric 2.0 working.

Has anyone been able to install Creo Parametric 2.0 with the silent xml installation?

Note: I'm installing to C:\PTC\Creo 2.0Source installation (Creo Parametric 2.0 M090) is on a fileserver share mapped to Y: driveI'm running: Y:\setup –xml "D:\TEMP\creobase.p.xml" -xml "D:\TEMP\pma.p.xml" -xml "D:\TEMP\sim.p.xml" The xml files are copied from a manual install on the same system. The script runs without error messages.Common Files, Parametric and Simulate folders are created But these folders contain not enough data Common Files\M090 only has 7 subfolders (jlink, mech, modchk, text, vbapi, weblink, x86e_win64)Parametric and Simulate only have 3 subfolders (bin, install and text) In total 12,5K files (1,5 Gb) are installed while manually 17K files (3,3Gb) are installed.

P.S. I know we can just zip a complete installation, unzip it to the new computer and run the registry files, but I want to test the silent xml installer.

Kind regards,

Olaf Corten

- | www.besi.com

Confidentiality Notice:
This Email, and any attachments, may contain internal or confidential information and is intended solely for the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain sensitive or protectively marked material and should be handled accordingly. If this Email has been misdirected, please notify the author immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on any of the information contained in it or attached, and all copies must be deleted immediately.

Attachment Links: blankfilename.txt (1 k)
Site Links: View post online View mailing list online Start new thread via email Unsubscribe from this mailing list Manage your subscription

Use of this email content is governed by the terms of service at:

That’s an example of the publishing side of the house wanting to use a pretty En Dash, instead of a ugly hyphen.

The thing is they don’t understand that when you have code like that in a document, someone is bound to cut and paste that into their script.

David Haigh

Don’t feel stupid. I had the same thing happen when I copied instructions of a Word document, which were probably copied from a PTC PDF file. The look so similar that it’s hard to differentiate.

Jim Van Dragt
PLM Architect
Information Technology

hermanmiller.com

Gentlemen,

I have had same thing happen to me as well. Years ago, I learned with Windchill, never to copy anything from a word doc or PDF and to always retype the command no matter how long it is.

Thanks

Alexius C. Chukwuka
IT Analyst, SAP Platform Support
Global Hosting and Network Services
Deere and Company
One John Deere Place
Moline, IL 61265 USA

Actually, I suspect it's the wonders of Microsoft Office at work here.

The (default) AutoCorrection feature in MS Word changes your hyphens into dashes:

The PTC publishing department should definitely turn some of these features off .....

Kind regards,

Olaf Corten

- | www.besi.com

To: Olaf Corten <->, "-" <->
Date: 14-01-2014 17:16
Subject: [proesys] - RE: Creo 2.0 silent install [SOLVED]

That’s an example of the publishing side of the house wanting to use a pretty En Dash, instead of a ugly hyphen.

The thing is they don’t understand that when you have code like that in a document, someone is bound to cut and paste that into their script.

David Haigh
Top Tags