cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Creo Jlink: mating a cylinder to a point

mmartinez-2
1-Newbie

Creo Jlink: mating a cylinder to a point

Hi all,

I new to Jlink, and have been attempting to automate the mating of a cylindrical part to each point in a skeleton (such that the center axis of the cylinder is coincident with the point). I was looking though the Jlink User Guide and found a list of ComponentConstraintTypes (Pic below). I read through them all and none of these seem to encapsulate what I'm trying to do. So I was  wondering if any more experienced users could shed some light on how to accomplish my goal... or if it's even possible . And if it is possible, if you could share any insight / guidance on how to get there using Jlink that would be amazing!

Thanks to all!

Jlink Constraint Types.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Perhaps I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish. In terms of geometry, constraining the center axis of a cylinder to a point (probably with ASM_CONSTRAINT_PNT_ON_LINE) doesn't come anywhere near fully defining the position of the cylinder. You still need to define the constraint that positions the cylinder along that axis, and most importantly, you need a way to define the direction in 3D space that the axis points to. That last one would be the tough one to me, unless your "skeleton" is on a flat plane.

I'm not a JLINK user, just been slaving away on Creo and its ancestors for years.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Perhaps I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish. In terms of geometry, constraining the center axis of a cylinder to a point (probably with ASM_CONSTRAINT_PNT_ON_LINE) doesn't come anywhere near fully defining the position of the cylinder. You still need to define the constraint that positions the cylinder along that axis, and most importantly, you need a way to define the direction in 3D space that the axis points to. That last one would be the tough one to me, unless your "skeleton" is on a flat plane.

I'm not a JLINK user, just been slaving away on Creo and its ancestors for years.

Hi Kenneth!

Thanks for the reply! I've been implementing my automation tool by taking small steps towards the goal, for now I was just trying to write a function that would take a cylinder part, and a skeleton and assemble 1 cylinder to point in the skeleton such that the center axis is coincident with the point. Fortunately for me, all of the points lie on the same plane, so after figuring that out, I could hopefully attach the bottom plane of the cylinder part to the skeleton plane. I will try using the ASM_CONSTRAINT_PNT_ON_LINE and post the results here! If anyone else has tried to implement something similar, any coding advice would be appreciated!

Top Tags